Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    watthe Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2011, 02:00 PM
    Replacing old wood floor in my garage
    I recently purchased an older home with an attached garage that has a wood floor. It's not exactly ideal as I live in a farming area and spend a lot of time on backroads and the flooring is starting to smell and sag(from the moisture) I'm just wondering if there are any options for covering the wood floor up? If not, what steps would I have to go through to remove it and replace it with something better? Any suggestions appreciated!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 6, 2011, 02:54 PM

How much space between the floorboard surface and the ground? If tearing it out and filling with concrete is not in the plan you could back fill with limestone screenings
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2011, 03:15 PM
    Older houses out n the country have these floors,typical for the rural areas I came from.

I would go to other barns,sheds,places where people are looking to rid themselves of their out buildings,etc,, and get replacement wood from them.Yeah,there is labor involved but the antiquity was kept with the property.

I did replace the floor in a barn with planking from many other barns... years later we found the under-supports were failing due to the high water table,again removed the planking and this time,put down plastic for a moisture barrier,pea gravel for ballast and the support framing with treated lumber attached to posts(which in turn were resting on stone)

Not a single problem since then and there are full sized vehicles driven over it.

A call to a local contractor could net you some real interesting results,the locals know all the good spots to get replacement goods.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pour cement floor in an existing wood floor building? [ 0 Answers ]

I have an existing temporary type building (720 sq ft) with a wood floor. The wood floor keeps rotting out. I would like to pour a cement slab to replace all the floor joists and floor. It sits on top of gravel and appears to get very damp (no standing water). I really do not want to raise the...

Replacing carpeted stairs with wood treads. [ 2 Answers ]

We have replaced our carpet with laminate, but when the carpet was removed from the stairs there is very rough plywood in place, with 36" treads that do not reach the walls... 1/4 to 1/2 " gap on each side, and two triangular landing treads as well. We have decided NOT to put laminate on stairs,...

Replacing floor flange on slab floor [ 6 Answers ]

The plastic floor flange is broken and it appears to be poured into the slab. How can I remove it? Can I just ge a new flange that would fit inside the pipe and install it right over top?

Contractor guidelines for replacing rotted wood [ 3 Answers ]

We are trying to find contractor standards that would be used when replacing exterior rotted wood. We have an old victorian home that has rotten wood that needs to be replaced. We understand that signing a contract before the wood is replaced will be necessary but we would like to find standards...

Replacing rotten wood floor foundation [ 16 Answers ]

We have an old cabin which we need to repair. Under existing bylaws we would not be able to replace this cabin in its existing waterfront location so repair is the only option. Originally the cabin sat 1 foot above ground on cement pads. Over the years the cabin sunk into the ground which has...

View more questions Search