Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    homemc Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2011, 09:48 AM
    Capital gain
    Me and my sister own the house ( two names on the deed ) , but it's only her name is on the mortgage. She moved out with her husband 2 years ago. Now I am planning to sell the house.( purchase price was $110,000, selling for $175,000) Who would have to pay a tax on capital gain and how ?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 6, 2011, 09:58 AM

How did this come about? I'm not aware (in my area) of any bank that will allow one name on a mortgage but two names on the deed.

Who PAID the mortgage?

I think you'll end up in a battle with your sister over the money and the Court will percentage the profit between you.

You can't sell without your sister's signature (I'm confused that YOU are planning on selling the house when SHE is part owner).
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 6, 2011, 09:59 AM
    There are some SIGNIFICANT information gaps in your post which need to be filled in before a concide answer is possible.

We need to know:

- Who paid for the house? If you both paid, what proportions/percentages?
    - Has the house stood empty for two years, or was it rented? If rented, was it depreciated?
    - WHEN was the house bought?
    - Did YOU ever live in the house?

A more complete picture is needed.

Apr 6, 2011, 10:05 AM

We both want to sell the house , and share the profit . She doesn't want it and neither do I . We just not sure how we would pay a capital gain taxes.

Apr 6, 2011, 10:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert View Post
    There are some SIGNIFICANT information gaps in your post which need to be filled in before a concide answer is possible.

We need to know:

- Who paid for the house? If you both paid, what proportions/percentages?
    - Has the house stood empty for two years, or was it rented? If rented, was it depreciated?
    - WHEN was the house bought?
    - Did YOU ever live in the house?

A more complete picture is needed.
    For 8 years we lived in this house together, two years ago she got married and moved out, I stayed here with my wife and kids. We agreed upon selling the house share the profit half and half.
    House was purchased in 2001

Apr 6, 2011, 10:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    How did this come about? I'm not aware (in my area) of any bank that will allow one name on a mortgage but two names on the deed.

Who PAID the mortgage?

I think you'll end up in a battle with your sister over the money and the Court will percentage the profit between you.

You can't sell without your sister's signature (I'm confused that YOU are planning on selling the house when SHE is part owner).
    We both want to sell the house , and share the profit . She doesn't want it and neither do I . We just not sure how we would pay a capital gain taxes, and how much. She is really concerned because she she and her husband make $180,000 a year, so she is afraid the tax on capital gain would be huge. I on the other hand make $60,000 for the family of 4, and don't want to pay capital gain tax.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 6, 2011, 05:47 PM
    You BOTH qualify for the exemption allowed for persons who sell the primary home. She lived in the house for three out of the past five years, and so did you.

Sell the house! You do not even have to report the sale to the IRS.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Capital Gain [ 6 Answers ]

DO I have to pay capital gain to the IRS if I rented my house for 1 yr and now my house if being foreclosed. Thanks in advance for your help, Gail >Moved from Forum Help<

Capital Gain? [ 1 Answers ]

How much would an investor earn on a stock purchased 1 year ago for $63 if it paid an annual cash dividend of $3.75 and had just been sold for $67.50? Would the investor have experienced a capital gain? Explain Thanks.

Capital Gain Tax [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have purchased a defaulted home as an investment property. I have renovated the home & now I am planning to sell it. I never used that home for my residence purpose. I know that property held for more than one year will be taxed as long term property. I want to know, how the holding...

Capital Gain Tax [ 1 Answers ]

Hello all, I am new to this forum and have a question about Capital gain tax I inherited a comercial property from my father in 1998. At the time of probate the property was valued at $150,000.00 I Have just accepted an offer to sell for $110,000.00 Do I owe Capital Gain Taxes?

View more questions Search