Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Elly_z07 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2011, 06:31 AM
    My adult son
    My adult son who is 21, lives home... pays rent... but won't follow a few simple rules an when I tell him if he don't like it he can move out he says" I pay rent, n recieve mail here you want me out u have to go to the court an evict me" is this true?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 6, 2011, 11:06 AM

Yes, you would have to evict him - and that process varies by State.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Apr 6, 2011, 12:18 PM

If he pays rent he is a co-tenant. And most landlord-tenant acts don't address the situation of one co-tenant evicting another co-tenant.

Do you have a lease or are you month-to-month?

It could be that you would have to move and leave him to deal with the landlord.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 6, 2011, 12:36 PM

Another guess on my part but I thought the mother owned the home, the son paid her rent... or not.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Apr 6, 2011, 03:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Another guess on my part but I thought the mother owned the home, the son paid her rent ... or not.
    Yes, could be. In which case he would be the sub-tenant. She would simply give him a notice to quit (normally 30 days), and then file in court for eviction.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 6, 2011, 03:40 PM

But you will have to evict him, you can not merely kick him out

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My adult son won't speak to me/us. [ 18 Answers ]

35 years ago I was a single mother with 3 kids. It was hard. Their father was an abusive drunk. I divorced the drunk and married a man who I thought would help me raise my kids. He did so financially, but was an overbearing and demanding stepfather. The kids rebelled and eventually left home...

Adult son is mean and inconsiderate. Is it me? [ 13 Answers ]

I have a 22 yo son who got out of the Army in Feb. of this year and has been living with me. I'm single and suffer from PTSD, Borderline Personality Disorder, and Anxiety Disorder. Twice since he's been home, he has moved in with his sort-of girlfriend about an hour away, and each time lasted about...

How do I evict adult son? [ 5 Answers ]

I have been trying to help my 26 yr old adult son get his life back together. He is on 2 years probation for making a bad choice of unauthorized use of a vehicle. In other words he was stopped while driving a stolen vehicle however, he was not the person who stole it, just driving it as a favor...

My adult son [ 35 Answers ]

My son is 42. I have always had a wonderful relationship with him, About 3 years ago he moved back to my state to start a business. I helped him I even worked for him and put my house up for his business.. He got rich and now he hates me. I never saw it coming. His phone is blocked and he will not...

View more questions Search