Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    klguess Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2007, 10:24 AM
    ENIGMA Cold vs Hot Furnace heated water??
    When I turn on the cold water it's piping hot for a few minutes then gradually turns, at most, to ambient temp, hot water is plentiful. Previous owner set up water heater like so: written on the cold water in line "Close in winter", when I did this it solved the problem as I had truly cold water, however, I run out of hot water within ten minutes in the shower. So I switched it back to the open position, (need those hot showers), but that brings me back to the never have cold water. Nuisance to say the least, all my clothes are shrinking that should be washed on cold! Thanks so much
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 23, 2007, 01:18 PM
    There should be only one supply line going into you water heater. One cold in and one hot out, period. The person who sold you the house may have engineered (I am being kind) something that is total wrong. If you are not sure of how to replumb the lines please call a pro.
    I have seen some retrofit installations where the cold water was hot for a few moments. This was due to cold supply line running down a long length of a hot air duct before it reached the faucet in question. The cold water sits in that pipe slowly heats up when no one is using water.
    klguess Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2007, 10:02 PM
    Thanks ballengerb1. The cold in is the only incoming line. It's really strange. It's piping hot initially and never really gets cold, and I seem to have endless amounts of hot water... hence the furnace diversion? But when I close it, the cold in line according to the "engineer" wintertime instructions, it's cold like it should be, however, I run out of hot water. I don't get it... I've run this by my plumber and he's had a look at it and was a bit perplexed as well. Nonetheless, he's coming to work on it next week and I thought Id try to get some pointers or tips. Thanks so much
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 24, 2007, 12:36 PM
    A good plumber will unravel the engineered piping. You should not need to open an close valves on your hot water heater just because the seasons change.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hot water coming from cold water tap [ 15 Answers ]

Hot water is coming from 2 cold water taps and one upstairs toilet, turns to cold after 15-20 seconds, it comes out very hot. Thought it might be Bleeding through faucets, so changed laundry tub and kitchen faucett. Still does it. The cold pipes seem to get hot from near the water tank. The dip...

Brand new water heater: Starts hot, then water gets cold after few seconds [ 9 Answers ]

We just moved into a brand new condo which has its own water heater. We went to take a shower this morning and the first few seconds of the shower were very hot, then it went cold after 10 seconds. We tried again after half an hour, same thing. There was enough hot water for my husband to shave but...

Furnace hot, air cold [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 12 years old furnace that has stopped putting out heat. The furnace in the attic is on and there is heat. The exhaust pipe, if that's what it's called, is hot and I can hear the flames. However, the air blowing out of the vents is between cool and warm. I have had the thermostat...

Cold Water work, Hot water is only a trickle [ 3 Answers ]

Recently I've had a drop in the volume of hot water that is coming through my system. It is a problem on every faucet in the house. The cold water pressure is GREAT. The house is 7 years old, and I believe that it has copper tubing throughout. I've been digging around for solutions to this for...

Can't get furnace to blow hot/cold air! [ 4 Answers ]

:confused: I recently moved into a house & I can barely tell that any air is coming out. I have just paid to have all the ducts cleaned. Please help me figure this out.

View more questions Search