Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    klguess Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2007, 10:05 AM
    Generator Install-Lights Flicker
    After generator was installed (Generac Model 0052540 w/Auto Txfer) started to experience whole house "flicker" whenever any appliance turns on... tricky thing is, this happens even when we switch to 100% generator power. Power Co and Electrician have gone over "everything" and come up with nothing. There is also a sharp quick buzz sound from somewhere outside just prior to the flicker. Thank you for your suggestions.
    Anthony_ Posts: 38, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2007, 02:05 PM
    Sometimes a loose connection on the neutral in the meter base will cause this. Have the power co check it out.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 23, 2007, 02:47 PM
    The neutral in the meter base is not it. The neutral from the genset comes into the ATS, and then to the Neutral in the Main Panel. When on gen power, there is no current flowing, or at least should not be, in the neutral in the meter.

A loose neutral in the meter would only be a problem on utility power.

I am assuming this is a 2 pole ATS. Even if it is a 3 pole, with one pole switching the neutral, still no effect by the meter is expected.

Thous the flickering does sound like a neutral issue, there may be a loose connection in the ATS or the main panel.

For anyone to trouble shoot this from here, you really need to pin down where the buzzing is coming from. Some photos of the inside of the ATS and panel would help, along with photos of the outdoor portion of the service.

I have to also assume everything is done properly, such as grounding, etc. so any additional details would be helpful.
    klguess Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2007, 09:12 PM
    Thank you for the response. tkrussell I sent you a personal message, sorry was not aware this method is not suggested as indicated by the admin. Just now. Please advise, I shall repost if necessary. Many thanks
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 24, 2007, 02:45 PM
    Re-post if you like. Admin asks that PM messages be avoided so that other people can see the questions and the answers and hopefully benefit by the responses.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

3 lights ran between 2 3-ways, can one of these lights be controlled by a 3rd switch? [ 2 Answers ]

There are 3 lights connected, 2 in one room and the third at the bottom of the stairs. There is a 3-way at the top of the stairs and another in the room with the 2 lights. This guy would like to also be able to switch off just the 3rd light at the bottom of the stairs. I did not dig into this too...

Light Flicker [ 11 Answers ]

I had a plug in the garage that was not working. I found the problem to be in the control panel and got the plug working by jiggling and finally pressing on the circuit breaker. Since then, I have noticed the other lights in the house will flicker. We used to get a little flicker on and off...

Light Flicker [ 1 Answers ]

I have a relatively new 100 amp service panel with breakers installed by an electrician in my 1950s Bungalow. I replaced most of the wiring throughout the house - most of which was ungrounded. I also replaced most of the switches and outlets. I installed some new recessed lighting. I get a...

Lights Twinkle, and flicker at times. [ 3 Answers ]

I noticed some times my lights have a slight twinkle and flicker at times, I think this normally happens when my well pump kicks off and on. My pump is wired on its own shut off with fuses which I think my Dad said it's a 240 Volt 3 wire pump, the fuses for that are the glass kind, which are in...

Screen flicker problem! [ 2 Answers ]

I am having some trouble with my laptop (Dell Inspiron 8100/WinXP Home), namely a really irritating flicker on the screen. The best way to describe it is that it looks like bands of buzzing pixels covering the entire screen. So if my menu bar is dark purple, I see flashes of pink. After a few...

View more questions Search