Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    caredug Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2011, 01:02 PM
    Does my 9 year old have to pay taxes on interest income?
    My 9 year old received a combined tax statement for 2010, (FORM 1099-INT, INTEREST INCOME) for just over $82. As he obviously doesn't work, and has no income, does he truly need to pay taxes on this (or rather, do I have to pay taxes on this)? This was a CD set up for his education, but was not set up as an IRA or 529, just a plain CD. How is he truly supposed to pay this if he is required? Thanks so much!
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 6, 2011, 12:38 PM

Since he is a dependent of someone else (namely you, I suppose) he has to file if his unearned income is $950 or more. See page 3 of: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p929.pdf So no - he does not need to file if his only income is the $82 from that CD.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Interest Income for non-resident MD taxes [ 2 Answers ]

According to the Marylant tax site, a non-resident of Maryland will need to file a nonresident income tax return to Maryland, using Forms 505 and 505NR, if he or she has income derived from TANGIBLE property, real or personal, permanently located in Maryland. Suppose the ONLY income from...

Interest Income for Non-resident NY taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am filing NY non-resident tax return. I have some interest income from a bank located in NY. Do I count it as a part of NY state income , or exclude it for calculating N state tax? Will this be same for NJ and MD also, as I've lived for parts of the year in these two states (but...

View more questions Search