Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    broughton Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2011, 01:39 PM
    Does bottom sill need to be treated at interior walls
    Building on the Texas gulf coast and the builder used treated sills at exterior walls only --do the interior that come in contact with slab need to be treated as well
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Apr 5, 2011, 05:20 AM

Yes. Concrete that comes in contact with the earth contains moisture. Wood that comes in contact with that concrete should be treated or have a moisture barrier installed.
    manhattan42 Posts: 143, Reputation: 11

Apr 8, 2011, 05:42 PM
    Not Necessarily.

The idea is to prevent sill plates from rotting if exposed to moisture.

Preventing rot can be accomplished in several ways and still be code compliant.

One way to prevent the sill plate from rotting is to install a treated sill plate or use wood that is naturally rot resistant or a non-wood plate.

Another way is to install an untreated sill plate but separate the plate from the basement slab concrete with a water proof or vapor impermeable membrane.

Another way to prevent rot is to install a vapor impermeable membrane beneath the concrete before it is poured... and then no treated plates would be otherwise be required.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Patio sliding door leaking from bottom at sill [ 3 Answers ]

Sliding padio door leaking at the bottom , water leaking on flooor beneath carpet into wood floor then into ceiling of living room below it causing damage to ceiling .

Cleaning interior walls? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, the walls on the house my boyfriend and I want to buy are very disgusting, dirty, moldy looking, the works. The reason we want this house is for a starter home, we have fixed houses up before with his parents but we don't know everything because this house is a piece. So, what should I wash the...

Painting interior walls [ 2 Answers ]

Does painting an interior wall with two coats of paint instead of only one change the color. For example, does it make the wall color darker, deeper, etc. If the wall color is brighter than you expected, will two coats of paint darken the color a little? Or are you just stuck picking another...

Interior walls [ 6 Answers ]

Is it okay to insulate the interior walls of a basement? How many outlets to a 15 amp and a 20 amp breaker? Is it okay to use 12 gauge wire for the breakers? I'm running wiring to a bath, small kitchen, 1 bedroom, living room and home music studio. And is better to add more outlets to a room or...

View more questions Search