Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rebeccahstrean Posts: 165, Reputation: 9

Apr 4, 2011, 12:16 PM
    I got this e-mail
    Basically what it says is someone in my family died in the UK. I know I have some family over there but I don't know them personally. They left me a lot of money. The guy said to just e-mail him with me address, name, and my number. So I was wondering if it's a scam or not! Why would someone I don't KNOW leave me billions of dollars? That doesn't make sense to me. Any one got answers? Is it a scam? Or not? Should I do it? Or not? My mom said I have relitives over there but now she's gone and her brothers and sisters won't talk to me. So I have to do this on my own! Can someone give advice please
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 4, 2011, 12:19 PM

What number? Your phone number? Is this person a solicitor (lawyer), or, if not, who is he?

Usually, an email like this is a scam. Be very careful.

The very fact that you got email and not a letter via snail mail makes me very suspicious.

Apr 4, 2011, 12:25 PM
    Comment on Wondergirl's post
    There is a number to contact him on the e-mail but my phone won't let me cause its out of the US. He wants my number.

I don't know who this person is.

ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 4, 2011, 12:27 PM

What number did he give you?

Apr 4, 2011, 12:34 PM
    Comment on ballengerb1's post
    +44 755 376 4496
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 4, 2011, 12:43 PM

I Googled that number and learned it's in the UK, but nothing else popped up.

The man didn't identify himself? Would you feel comfortable copying and pasting the message (minus any info about you) so we can see exactly what he said?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Apr 4, 2011, 12:47 PM
    It's a SCAM!!

That's a cell number.
    No one official would expect contact on a cell number!

Apr 4, 2011, 01:36 PM
    This is for your attention,

I understand that through Internet is not the best way to link up with you because of the confidentiality which my proposal demands. However, I have already sent you this same letter one month ago but I am not sure if it did get to you since I have not heard from you, hence I am constrain to reach you through the Internet which has been abused over the years.
    I wish to notify you again that you were listed as an Heir to the total sum of (Four million Six hundred thousand British Pounds) in the codicil and last testament of the deceased (names now withheld since this is our second letter to you). I contacted you because you bear the surname identity and therefore can present you as the Heir to the inheritance funds.

I therefore reckoned that you could receive these funds as you are qualified by your name identity as all the legal papers will be processed in your acceptance. In your acceptance of this deal, we request that you kindly forward to us your letter of acceptance with your full names, your current telephone and fax numbers and a forwarding address,your present occupation to enable us file necessary documents at our high court probate division for the release of this sum of money. Please indicate your interest immediately for us to proceed.

I shall feed you with full details of this transaction upon receipt of your reply towards this proposal.

Sincerely,
    Barr.Ferguson Richard.
    United Kingdom.
    +44 755 376 4496

This says he tried contacting me before but I never heard of this or maybe I didn't pay attention. I don't know. Thanks for your help.
    BossMan

Apr 4, 2011, 01:41 PM
    100 (ONE HUNDRED) % SCAM.
    This is a 419 advanced fee fraud!!

In the UK Barristers, a type of high ranking lawyer, do NOT deal with minor probate matters..

Apr 4, 2011, 01:54 PM
    Thanks so much! I really do appreciate it! I'm glad I didn't give ANY of my info
    BossMan

Apr 4, 2011, 01:56 PM
    Remember if it sounds too good to be true it most likely is.

Communications of this type, if real, would NEVER come via e-mail, ever..

Apr 4, 2011, 01:58 PM
    Well I didn't know. Maybe it was in generations. Like I said my mom said I had family over there. Maybe when she died I got it but it had just came up. My boyfriend said the same. Thanks though I really do appreciate it! :)
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 4, 2011, 02:07 PM

And it's quite badly written with mistakes in it that a barrister (i.e. native English speaker) would NEVER make. I'm guessing it's from someone who lives in an African or Asian country.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 4, 2011, 02:10 PM

And how does this "barrister" know your surname, that, like he writes, it's the same as the "deceased"?
    cmeeks Posts: 754, Reputation: 64

Apr 5, 2011, 07:38 AM
    This sure looks like a scam. It will usually play out with the scammer eventually asking for you to Cash a Check or to give them an account number to deposit the funds. If you cans the check you will be ask to send a small fee to the scammer, you send the money and the check bounces. Or, you give an account number to deposit the check into and they make a withdraw.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A customer calls in with an e-mail issue. Mail flow is working internally, and has [ 0 Answers ]

. A customer calls in with an e-mail issue. Mail flow is working internally, and has been validated already technically. The user is having trouble sending an e-mail to a particular user on a large e-mail hosting service like Yahoo or G-Mail. The SMTP bounce back error is an undeliverable 5.3.0. It...

How could I receive mail alerts on my mobile,for every incoming mail in my outlook [ 2 Answers ]

I am using outlook 2003. I want to receive entire mail or the alert for the incoming mails on my Nokia phone .

Great Auto Response mail for Employee Suggestion mail [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, As part of HR, I take care of the Suggestion Committee which encourages employees to post their suggestions through mail. The ideas are chosen after a period of 1 month by a pre-designated Committee. For every suggestion, we have to give a positive, motivating response in our...

View more questions Search