Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nick1337 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2007, 06:28 AM
    System Power Box
    I recently purchased an ATI Radeon X1900 PRO (PCI-express). It needs to be connected to the computer's power box, which is recommended to have 450 watts. When I opened the system and read the side of the box, it said it had 375 watts. I live in America where the outlets give 125 watts. I would like to know if my video card can run under these conditions.

Thank You :cool:
    TechSupport Posts: 43, Reputation: 5

Jan 23, 2007, 07:17 AM
    Nick1337,

Power (Watts) is equal to voltage times amps. In the US, volts are typically calculated at 120V or 125V (different places will use different numbers). So a 375 watt power supply would be (375 divied by 125 is) 3 amps. But that doesn't really matter. That power supply, no matter what, can only give 375 watts. You can't have it give more or else its safety circuit will trip and it will kill itself to prevent a fire.

I think the 30 amps is wrong. I think it should say 3.0 amps. And the 60 watts is wrong, too, I think. It makes sense for it to say 60Hz or 60 Hertz, but not 60 watts. Anyway.

Bottom line: Your power supply may have the capacity to run what you've got in your computer now, plus the graphics card. But it may not. You may need to get a new power supply. If that's the case, you have two things you need to make sure you pay attention to:

1. Will it fit in your existing case?
    2. Power supplies are rated by watts. Get the biggest that will fit

"Unused" watts are fine - it leaves room for expansion and means that your power supply doesn't need to run as hot (which means its fan doesn't need to run as often and overall your power efficiency is greater).

If this helps you out, good. If not, ask again and I'll see if I can better answer your question.

-TS

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Car won't start, no click and no power to radio, power window or locks [ 6 Answers ]

After installing a new starter on a 1999 2WD Explorer it will not start. There is no click when trying to start it, its just dead, and the radio, power locks/windows, a/c, and dash light don't work but the interior lights work and so do the headlights. We've had the starter checked to make sure...

Grounded delata power system [ 5 Answers ]

hi guys, anybody who can explain me the grouded delata power system? I have seen one installation in ksa wherein a delta seconondary of a three phase transformer wherein one of the phase leads is connected to ground. the voltage reading is as ff. phase A to Grnd = 230 phase B to Grnd = 230...

Single phase power vs. Three Phase Power [ 1 Answers ]

Is there any real difference in efficiency and cost between a single phase air conditioning unit and a three phase unit? Thanks, JPGREEN

X in the box [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to cut and paste a graphic into my Yahoo mail and I get a blank box with a red x in the upper left hand corner. Any idea how to correct this?

How do I increase H2O pressure on well system with a water filtration system? [ 2 Answers ]

Howdy, I would like to know how I can increase my water pressure. My current system uses a well pump with a small pressure tank, and "D" control valve. It then runs through a WATERSOFT filtration tank, RAINSOFT water softner, and on the Hot water side, an AQUASTAR on demand hot water system. I...

View more questions Search