Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sm1178 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2011, 01:05 AM
    Avoid 401k withdrawal penalty
    I was laid off last year and only got paid for one month. I had to withdraw my 401K funds to get over the loss of income and to keep paying my home loan. Now, while doing my taxes, I ma being charged a 20% penalty (besides the 10% that I already paid while withdrawing). Also, my tax refund is much lower than I expected probably due to this. How can I avoid losing money like this and get a better refund?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 4, 2011, 03:50 AM

You can't. First, you are misunderstanding the penalties. If you take an early withdrawal from a 401(k), you have to pay taxes on the amount of the withdrawal as income. Generally the plan will withhold 20% towards your tax liability, just as taxes are withheld from your paycheck. In addition to the taxation there is a 10% penalty that has to be paid.

The only way you could have avoided this is not taking the money out of the 401(k). Once you did that you incurred taxes and penalties.

Apr 4, 2011, 06:25 AM
    Is there a way to show unemployment as 'hardship' to waive the penalty and taxes? I would not have withdrawn the 401k funds unless I really needed them to continue my house payments...

Apr 4, 2011, 06:25 AM
    Comment on ScottGem's post
    Is there a way to show unemployment as 'hardship' to waive the penalty and taxes? I would not have withdrawn the 401k funds unless I really needed them to continue my house payments...
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 4, 2011, 07:38 AM

Sorry, but no. Even if your withdrawal qualified under the hardship withdrawal rules, the penalty still applies.

A 401(k) allows you to save money tax deferred. Meaning you pay no taxes on the amounts deposited until you withdraw them. There is a price for getting this advantage. So the 10% penalty applies no matter why an early withdrawal is made.

The tax liability is mitigated because your income should have been low enough to have the withdrawal taxed at the lowest rate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Early 401K Withdrawal penalty [ 1 Answers ]

What Is The Penalty For One Who Withdraws 401k Funds Before Age 591/2

401K early withdrawal penalty [ 6 Answers ]

When my husband and I bought our new home in 2005, we both withdrew money from our 401Ks. I took $5,693 of which they took 20% in federal income tax withheld and he took $8,000 of which they took 10% in federal income tax withheld. They are now coming back to me and saying we both owe the 10%...

Penalty for early withdrawal of 401K [ 1 Answers ]

I was laid off my current job after 7 years. I am 51 years old. How much will I be penalized for withdrawing my 401K?:confused:

401K early withdrawal penalty [ 1 Answers ]

This may sound like a stupid question, but, please understand that I am an artist -- not a money person. If you take an early withdrawal from a 401K plan, pay the 20% state and federal tax before receiving the disbursement, how do you claim all this on the tax form? Can you use the EZ forms or do...

401k early withdrawal and 10% penalty [ 2 Answers ]

In regard to an early 401k withdrawal, can someone advise if the 10% penalty is calculated on the amount AFTER the 20% withholding, or is it on the amount of the original withdraw? (e.g. If you withdraw $10,000 from your 401k early, and the company withholds 20%=$2000; are you then required to pay...

View more questions Search