Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

Apr 3, 2011, 01:22 PM
    Owen listening to me only
    Owen is doing very good with listening, to me at least. I can let him know what I want most times by just a look. I am unsure of how or why that works but it does. He knows if I snap my fingers and point to my side to come to me. That one is not going as well if he is distracted but we are working on that. I am not allowing him to ignore me and will insist on him listening.

My concern is if anyone else tells him to do anything he will listen, ignore or if I am there look at me. I probably have a lot to do with this as I was making him listen when the others would "give up" and say he does not listen. When hubby is trying to get him to do something I am turning my back. I don't mean to make it sound like Owen is being bad and disruptive. It is more that he is deciding with others when and if he will listen. Kind of like a spoiled child.

Is it normal for him to decide to only listen to one person? Is it okay and I am worrying (yet again ) over nothing? What do I do to help out with this issue?

Susan and Owen
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Apr 3, 2011, 02:46 PM

Yes it is normal and most dog owners strive for this. There is only one pack leader, and you are it. I don't like it when people tell my dog what to do really, my dogs are well behaved, and if they do act up , then I am always there to correct the behavior. In the training world, trainers would prefer if you only had one person doing the training for this very reason.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Apr 3, 2011, 07:11 PM

My moms dog only listened to her. This was when I was trying to show her in obedience. My mom showed her in the AKC and got 195 out of 200 points (or better) each time she entered the ring. When I showed her, I got a 60 out of 200 points. Britta would have all delayed reactions when I gave her a command *this was all off leash* and would jump the fence to go to my mom. My mom had to start hiding behind trees or Britta would leave.

So, yes, it is perfectly normal for your dog to only listen to you. The only way you can fix that is if the other person works with him.. and even then, such as my case, its not going to work ;) lol
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 3, 2011, 07:32 PM

I always love Owen stories!
    Dogs Expert

Apr 4, 2011, 08:54 AM

Thank you all for the responses. I really do appreciate how you all have helped Owen become a well mannered and well behaved dog!

Though today I am not happy with him. He decided he needed to have a colon cleanse and ate a bar of soap. Why he did not stop after the first bite, I will not understand. Then he gives me his pout like but mommy you love me remember. I hope he does not have to go when I am at work today. He should be fine I think as will only be crated for approximately 4 hours. Sigh he is lucky I do love him lol.

Susan and Owen
    binx44 Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 88
    Ultra Member

Apr 4, 2011, 10:04 AM

By all rights auntie, at his age he should be able to go at least 10 hours without needing to go outside. I don't know why he ate the whole darn bar of soap, must of tasted good to him. Was it unscented? The perfumes in soap might wreak havoc on his little belly but he should be fine, just keep an eye on him to ensure he is still using the bathroom proper. Ryu ate a foam paint roller, which can get lodged in their intestines and block everything completely off, I had to keep an eye on him for days, just to make sure everything was going to be OK .
    As to him only listening to you, as the others have said.. In canine behaviorism they have a well defined "pack" which of course includes pack leader. He is only listening to you due to the fact he sees you as the alpha leader of the pack, which isn't really a bad thing.
    Ryu is the same way, always has been though he has been getting better with listening to Geoff, and mom and her hubby when I am not around. I don't like my dog listening to every tom, **** and harry around though I do have it as a requirement that if I have to hand his leash off to someone even for a few minutes he must listen to them, even though he doesn't see them as the pack leader.
    Dogs Expert

Apr 4, 2011, 02:15 PM

Got to love men not giving the whole story. Hubby was the one who told me about the soap. He had said Owen ate a bar of soap. What he meant to say is Owen ate some soap it was not even a 1/4 of the bar.
    It was Ivory soap so no perfumes. He seems okay thus far... right now he is wanting to help hubby change the kitty litter.
    We will be keeping an eye on him but as I said earlier he just wanted to jump on the colon cleanse bandwagon lol.

Susan and Owen
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 4, 2011, 02:26 PM

Post photos any time if you want me to be happy!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Boredom and Owen [ 3 Answers ]

As most of you know Owen has elbow Dysplasia which limits his exercise. He can on average walk for about 20 min before limping. If he does too much one day it can carry over to the next day. For example when his friend Charlie comes over to play, you don't see the limp until AFTER the play date...

Owen graduated [ 3 Answers ]

Just to let people know Owen has graduated from his puppy class. I am so proud of my boy. I do wish I would have been able to attend one of the classes but hubby had to take him to all of them due to work. Kind of was a good thing as he was not listening to hubby as much as me. I have pics...

Owen and separation anxiety [ 3 Answers ]

I have been with Owen almost all of the time as I got fired from work shortly after we got him. I am now working again and it seems to bother him that I am not at home with him. He is now taking my slippers, gloves etc when I am not at home(also it seems like no one is home when he does this). ...

Owen limping [ 22 Answers ]

I am unsure if he needs to see a vet or not about this issue. I was out for a walk with him and noticed him limping, we were headed to the off leash park with another dog. I checked his feet and legs and he seemed fine. He would off and on make it a small limp then a big limp, to us it looked...

Owen has not finished his breakfast [ 15 Answers ]

Owen gets fed 3 times a day and it is now supper time but his breakfast is still their. He normally finishes his food all at once. I will say now that we have him off the Purina he does not gobble like he is starving. He has eaten approximately 1/2 of it. He is active, alert, drinking and...

View more questions Search