Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jeffro11 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2011, 07:18 AM
    Why does my hvac fan keep running?
    I have an older, central H&A system with a fan that won't stop running. Heat & air both work fine, but once the house gets to the right temp, the unit will cycle off but the fan keeps running regardless of whether the fan is switched to "on" or "auto". Many times the fan will stay on for up to 4 or 5 hours after I turn everything off at the thermostat. This is an all-in-one unit outside (no separate air handler inside the house). Any ideas on what's wrong??
    KidChaos Posts: 45, Reputation: 3

Apr 12, 2011, 10:09 AM
    There are a few things that will make a difference in what I say. Is the unit a heat pump, or gas furnace? If a heat pump the speeds for cool are the same speed as heat, so the relay that runs the fan(fan relay) controls the fans operation, either a separate 24v relay or a relay as part of the circuit board, tap the relay or board to see if they shut off the fan, it can be stuck.

But before we get that far, if you have a gas furnace as most do, the low speed is the heat speed and is controlled via temperature delay, that is located in the high limit safety, located above the burners generally, the limit and low speed fan switch open and close via the little clock like dial w/temps marked which rotates via a spiral bi metal that expands and contracts and that opens and closes the switch for the low speed fan operation. The high speed fan or cool speed is run via a fan relay, and nothing to do with any temperature delay as does the low speed (heat speed) So if its doing it with the heat only and not cool, it's the temp delay, if it does it all the time, you must have 1 speed for both modes? A little more info required , but bang on the unit and see if it stops , that says a relays stuck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HVAC problem, Trane Heat Pump, Outside compressor & fan not running. [ 4 Answers ]

I would be most appreciative if I could get some help with my Trane Weathertron XE 1200 outside compressor and outside fan unit that is not running at all. I have heat which I think is only due to the Emer (auxillary) heat strips coming on and the inside air handler fan is blowing heat into the...

Carrier hvac fan won't stop running [ 21 Answers ]

Hi,my unit just act up about 10 days ago,while run on heat it keep running the only way to stop it is to shut down the main switch . Thermostat is useless at this time no matter what position setting fan still running ac won't come on the same to heat.Just change the circuit board still won't help...

My condenser fan is running while my heat is running. It's a heil 4-t gas pak 14yrsold [ 1 Answers ]

The condenser fan on my 14 yr old heil 4-ton gas pak is running while the heat is on. I know its not supposed to but I'm not to sure where to start trouble shooting. My first instinct is the control board or the digital thermostat, (7 yrs old ) Can some one point me down the right path?

Hvac compressor stops running [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Carrier heat pump. Outdoor unit is a model 38yka030300, indoor unit model 40yr030300. In December 2008, I installed a Honeywell VisionPRO TH8320U1008 thermostat. About two weeks ago, I came home one afternoon and it was in the 80's inside. I checked and the compressor was not running....

Car hvac blower motor will not stop running [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 2005 impala with a 3.4 V-6. The hvac blower motor will not stop running, even with the car turned off. The only way I can stop it is to pull the 30amp fuse from under the hood. Any suggestions?

View more questions Search