Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ryanlion Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2011, 06:53 AM
    Is there a way to appeal my child from receiving my benefits now he is over 18
    I went to court was awarded my diability my child was a minor at time of disability claim he was over 18 when I received now he is receiving the check for claim can this be appealed awarded couple months ago he has not received check yet
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 3, 2011, 07:43 AM

If you filed a claim and your child is being paid under that claim why would you want to appeal it? Most likely what he is being paid is retroactive to when you filed.

Apr 3, 2011, 08:02 AM

When the claim was filed he was under 18 the money was to be issued to me I was denied several times 6,000 in attourney fees court years and I finally received lump sum but because he is over 18 now he will get a lump sum and has never had a job the money that I worked for should be mine to do with as I please not issued to my son if I wanted to give to him that should be my choice
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 3, 2011, 08:07 AM

Sorry, but no. The amount awarded to your son is his. If it was paid to him as a minor, it should have gone to his care. Since he is no longer a minor, SS has to pay it to him.

I can understand your thinking he doesn't deserve it. But this is not money YOU earned, the payments are from a pool of money from taxation.

You can ask the SS office if there is a way to stop the payment going to him, but I think they will tell you the same thing I did.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 3, 2011, 08:07 AM

Hello r:

IF the money was, indeed, for YOUR attorney fees, the lump sum should be yours. If they're NOT doing that, hire your lawyer AGAIN.

However, if the money is the benefit for your son, then it belongs to your son.

excon

Apr 3, 2011, 08:23 AM

Thank you very much it just makes me mad he is some what of a brat still has some growing up to do yet and I am still supporting and him the right thing would be for him to give it to me and let me decide what he gets but I don't know if he is there yet

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child support or ssi benefits for kids because father is in jail [ 5 Answers ]

Ok I want to know if there is anyway to get more then 5 dollars a month for 3 kids child support or attach ssi for money.. The father is in prison for 12 -36 years for attempting to kill me and his own kids.. I was a stay at home Mother for 13 years we have lost mostly everything as it was an...

Disabled parent is receiving checks for the minor child they do not have custody [ 10 Answers ]

what if I have custody of my niece and I was just told her mother has been receiving a check for her since 1997

Child Support Appeal [ 4 Answers ]

I Live in New York . I hired 4 months ago a attorney for a child support appeal;after 4 months he told me that they accept the appeal but didn't explain anything to me. I don't know if a have to go to court , call child support office , I really don't know what to do. I called him but he's never...

Receiving child support from jobless out of state mother. [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter's mother has been jobless for the last year and a half, and her entire financial portfolio is in horrific danger, being evicted, no vehicle, no insurance, etc. She recently stated she is going to move to CO to live w/ her sister and her brother in-law, she supposidly wants to find a...

Military child receiving support [ 2 Answers ]

My Daughter graduates this month and is entering the military in Sept. (full time) Is she entitled for support from her dad still?

View more questions Search