Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stacyber Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2011, 10:58 AM
    My electrical outlet has started chirping/squeaking intermittedly.
    It's the weirdest thing. The outlet began chirping/squeaking intermittedly about 2 weeks ago. Both outlets supply electricity i.e. they work. But it's quite annoying. And I don't know if this is dangerous. It sort of sounds like the chirping of my smoke alarm, but not as loud, when it wants a new battery. Any thoughts?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Apr 2, 2011, 11:39 AM
    There is probably a loose connection. Have it checked and repaired ASAP. Loose connection creates heat. That is what I think you hear.
    Newton1Law Posts: 60, Reputation: 5

Apr 3, 2011, 05:53 AM
    Please have it replaced immediately. Have the wiring in that box inspected by a qualified electrican. You may be hearing what is known as an arcing fault.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Apr 3, 2011, 06:41 AM

I had a Customer that had swiches that meowed. I came over, removed the wall plate, she asked what we should do, I said we will have to cut the wall open, and get the Kitten out.
    Their Cat had Kittens in their attic, and one wandered and fell through a small space, and landed on a Cat(Fire block).
    If not a smoke detector, turn off your breakers and see if the noise stops.
    psallo Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2011, 09:59 PM
    Stacy, I wonder if you found the above answers correct or something else? I recently began having the same issue in a home I just moved into.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Admiral Dryer squeaking when first started [ 3 Answers ]

I have the following symptoms, my Dryer is an Admiral model number ADE7005AYW, and it squeaks when first started. It only squeaks for the first 5 minutes or so, then it settles down with some minor squeaking periodically. Will the fix from applguy back in 2006 work with this model as well? If so...

Electrical outlet wiring/switched outlet? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am trying to fix the wiring in an outlet in the master bedroom of the house we just bought. Currently there is a 3 gang swtich at the entrance to the bedroom. We were told two of the 3 switches controlled the fan & light for a ceiling fan lamp that was removed by the previous owner. We were...

Converting regular 3 prong electrical outlet to dryer outlet [ 3 Answers ]

We just bought a stacking washer and dryer and now the electrical cord on the dryer won't reach down to the existing dryer outlet. Is there any way to convert a regular 3 prong outlet that is close enough into a dryer outlet?

Outdoor electrical outlet keeps tripping gfci outlet [ 3 Answers ]

Until just recently my christmas decorations would light up when we plugged them into the outdoor electrical outlet. Now when we plug it in the gfci outlet in the garage keeps getting tripped and the lights won't come on. Even when we reset the gfci, once we plug in the chord it gets tripped...

Squeaking/Chirping Window A/C Unit [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. My windoW A/C unit has started making a squeaking/chirping noise. It started intermittenly but now makes this noise for hours at a time!

View more questions Search