Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    crusthecrust Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2011, 07:14 PM
    How do you tighten the belt in a clothes dryer?
    My clothes dryer spins when nothing is in it, but won't when clothes are in it. I have shortened the spring which pulls the belt tight, and it still won't spin the clothes. Any ideas?
    lilpoppa Posts: 118, Reputation: 13

Apr 1, 2011, 08:05 PM
    Need to replace belt and tensioner spring, be sure to clean pullys thourghly before installing new belt.
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Apr 1, 2011, 09:55 PM
    You need to overhaul the drier which includes cleaning it out of deposits and replacing the belt. If you shortened the spring you will need to replace it with one of original length. Any time a drier is old enough to need a belt it's old enough to need cleaning and deposits build up like cement on the inside of air passages and on the blower which can cause a fire or the safety to burn open. This is easy to do. Make sure to clean vent, too. DrTom4444
    JimGu Posts: 92, Reputation: 4

Apr 4, 2011, 01:24 PM
    Really need to have the brand name and model number, but DrTom4444 is right. I recall a Whirlpool dryer from a few years ago where the substituted a slide for the idler pulley and it caused exactly the problem you have now. The solution was to replace it with a standard idler pulley.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I tighten the blade belt on my Craftsman 42 [ 1 Answers ]

The blades on my Craftsman 42 " Lawn Mower will not engage when I move the lever upward as usual. I feel like the problem is with one of the pulleys on the mower deck but do not know exactly what I should be looking for. Can anyone help?

Tighten deck belt on bronco riding mower? [ 1 Answers ]

Just a quick question.

How to tighten a alternator belt on a 2001 mazda b3000 [ 1 Answers ]

I tried spraying some belt degreaser and it seemed to help until I got down the road, anyway it's a 2001 mazda b3000 dual sport 2wd and I cannot figure out how to tighten the alternator fan belt on it, the alternator does not rotate up or down so I cannot tighten the belt, if you know please let me...

Clothes dryer tighten belt tension [ 2 Answers ]

We've replaced the belt on our GE model DDP1380 SDMAD clothes dryer, but the belt's too loose. It's the same length as the old, broken belt. Is there any way to increase the tension on the idler pulley?

View more questions Search