Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    catcrazy567 Posts: 55, Reputation: 2

Apr 1, 2011, 08:17 AM
    Publishing books
    I am 14 and I wrote a book. Its very short but I am very proud of it. Does anyone know a website where I can upload my book and get feedback. I don't want my book to get copyed by someone else. Please help. I really want to know what people think of my book.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 1, 2011, 09:24 AM

If your book is not protected by copyright rules, and you download to website so people can read it, then you can't stop them from copying your book. Therefore, you have lost it.
    What you can do is send copies into publishing houses, they will add yours tl a long list of books to read to see if they are good enough to publish, and see what happens.

Tick

Apr 1, 2011, 10:56 AM
    Comment on tickle's post
    Does it cost and if so how much thanks
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 1, 2011, 11:02 AM

Please don't use the comments feature, use the reply feature. Don't know how much it costs, but you and your book are added to a long list and you may not hear for months if they think your book has merit.

Tick

Apr 1, 2011, 02:37 PM
    Is this how you reply
    Sorry I am new to this site
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 1, 2011, 02:49 PM

I'm a freelance editor and would be glad to look at your book. I will offer (free) advice as to any corrections it needs, and will help you find an agent or publisher, if that's the way you want to go.

Apr 1, 2011, 02:50 PM
    Comment on Wondergirl's post
    What do I do
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 1, 2011, 02:52 PM

First, let me get permission to communicate with you off-site. Usually we don't allow that. Hang on.

Apr 1, 2011, 02:53 PM
    No thank you I am feeling uncomfortable do not try to contact me outside of this site
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 1, 2011, 02:55 PM

Not a problem. Can you tell us anything about the book, like fiction or non-fiction? If non-fiction, what general area of interest? If fiction, what genre, like mystery or scifi or thriller?

Apr 1, 2011, 02:56 PM
    I just want to find a site that is free and where I can upload my first chapter of my book on to the ite and see what people think
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 1, 2011, 02:57 PM

Btw, never, never post your book on a public site or blog. Many publishers consider that "being published" and will not even look at it.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 1, 2011, 02:57 PM

Yes, feel free to attach a copy of your book to a post here for review. If you wish you can remove the attachment later on.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 1, 2011, 02:58 PM

You can post a chapter here and get feedback. Others have done that with a chapter or two.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 1, 2011, 02:58 PM

There are many options to having your book published. You can do what Tickle suggested and send your manuscript to a publishing house, or you can self publish.

Self publishing will cost you money. There are companies that will print your book, and even market it, for a fee. They'll publish anything. It's the quicker way to get your book on store shelves, but it doesn't mean your book will do well. Self publishing companies don't even read your book, and they don't care if it's worthy of publication or not. It is the sure way to get your book published though.

Most publishing companies won't look at a manuscript unless you have an agent. They do receive and will sometimes look at unsolicited manuscripts, but it can take many years before they get to yours unless you have an agent. You could wait years only to have them read your book, consider it unworthy of publication, and end up in the trash bin.

If you can afford it then self publishing is the best bet for your first book. If it's good and it sells, then it will be a lot easier to get published by a real publishing house for your next book.

Good luck. :)

Apr 1, 2011, 02:59 PM
    Actual how would you contact me outside the website just wondering
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 1, 2011, 03:01 PM

Since it is your profession and you are a senior member, my opinion is it is OK to contact.
    Again, I am not the final say or word, but will give my opinion

Apr 1, 2011, 03:01 PM
    Okay does this site offer like an email
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 1, 2011, 03:02 PM

actual how would you contact me outside the website just wondering

I'd PM you and give you my email address.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 1, 2011, 03:06 PM

Catcrazy, since WG has been given the go ahead to contact you off site, I would like to tell you that you shouldn't be concerned.

I understand why you are. I too have written a book, and I also was very concerned, as you should be, about posting any part of it in public.

I have sent my book to WG. She not only read it and gave me her critique, but she also corrected my numerous grammatical errors. She's a wonderful lady, and I can tell you that you can trust her, you have nothing to fear about sending a copy of your book to her. Whenever I write something and I want some advice, or someone to edit, WG is the lady I go to.

There is one thing you can do to protect yourself. It's a poor mans copyright. Send a copy of the book to yourself. Yup, that's right. Print it out, put it in an envelope, and then send it to yourself. Don't open the envelope.

If someone steals your book and there's a question of who wrote it, you then have a date stamped sealed envelope with your book inside, which will predate anything a thief could produce. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Publishing scanned books on web site? [ 10 Answers ]

I want to make a web site for the students, in my country, about english literature.I want to upload scanned copies of all the text books and reference books included in all the syllabus of all the universities of my country.this is not for sale.just to provide students help in their studies. This...

Publishing [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know how to get books published and how much it costs?

Publishing a story [ 5 Answers ]

I have a true story that happened to me that has a great moral and the end. I would like to send it in to the chicken soup for the soul people to see if they'd publish it. Have any of you ever tried anything like that... what are the odds they'd even actually read it or even pubish it for that...

Publishing [ 1 Answers ]

I have a daughter that is a great writer. Were can she send her novels for reviews, and possible publication.

Publishing [ 5 Answers ]

Does anyone know how to get books published and how much it costs? My wife is writing children's books.

View more questions Search