Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jgc555 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2011, 06:37 AM
    Deduct rental property expenses without rental income?
    I own a condo that I used to live in but I no longer work in that city. I have been trying to rent it for almost a year but have not found a renter yet. Can I consider the condo as rental property and claim the expenses of owning it on my taxes, even though I do not have any rental income yet? Also, I am going to list the property for sale or rent. If I sell it, would I be able to deduct the capital loss (most likely) against my regular income? I do not have any other passive income. Thank you very much.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 14, 2011, 02:24 PM
    Yes, you can claim those expenses if you have been making a good faith effort to rent the property.

Good faith effort includes actively advertising and showing the property, and being able to PRROF that activity.

If you sell the property for a loss, it is most likely NOT going to be deductible as a loss.

slb123 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2012, 01:13 AM
    I would really think twice about doing this for what $ savings in tax $200 maybe. You will need to bring the personal condo into busiess property, start depreciation and become a landlord. Or sell it and if gain for the personal property condo profits under $250,000.00 per individual (x2 if married) keep it and pay no tax. Or again sell converted to business property condo and pay capital gains and sorry y ou missed the low low capital gains tax rates. Don't complicate your life for a few tax dollar savings that actually could cost more once the "i wanted be a landlord when i grow up" issue came to be. I think you have more precious things to do with your life then pushing yourself for tax savings. I prepare taxes and I believe simply for taxpayer, preparer and government would be so much easier and beneficial financially. Simplfy and enjoy!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Moving Expenses - how many days of lodging and car rental can I deduct? [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I (both US citizens) moved to the UK in Aug 2009 so that he could take a job. When we moved out of our old house, we stayed in a US hotel for 9 days before our flight to the UK. When we arrived in the UK, we stayed in a UK hotel for 2 weeks while looking for an apartment. We...

Accounting for rental property expenses [ 2 Answers ]

I own home which I tried to sell but ended up renting. I put a lot of $ trying to get property ready for tenants. During the period in which the house was vacant awaiting a renter, can I do anything about lost rent, utility bills?

1040NR. Rental Expense exceeds rental income. Carry forward? [ 2 Answers ]

In filing 1040NR. Only US activity is Rental Real Estate. Total Expenses including depreciation exceeds Rental Income. How do I carry forward the amount the loss exceeds income? Mahalo.

Rental Income & Property transfer - Tax [ 3 Answers ]

3 partners hold title in rental property as follows>Party A 85%, Party B 10%, Party C 5%. Both party A & party b agree to allow party C to rightfully claim a 100% rental income & expense&depreciation. So all along for the past 6 years Party C has been claiming 100% (income/exp/dep) on party C...

Income tax treatment of sales tax on improvement to rental property [ 3 Answers ]

For income tax purposes, major improvements to my rental property must be depreciated over a period of years. Can I take the sales tax on those improvements as a deduction in the year of the improvement, or must the sales tax amount be included in the depreciation schedule? Thank-you, ...

View more questions Search