Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Motochick Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2011, 01:49 PM
    Sea Monkeys
    I cleaned out my sea monkeys tank. I took all precautions such as getting filtered water and waiting several hours before letting them get into the new water. I googled on if I should clean out their tank or not and it said it didn't really matter but if it bothered you then go ahead. It bothered me. But now they are not able to swim and they are kind of discolored. What's wrong? I don't want them to die!!
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Mar 31, 2011, 01:53 PM
    To be perfectly honest, once they are hatched you should leave them alone. Just feeding and occasional water top up is all they need.
    They will not last for a long time, after all they are simply brine scrimp.

Apr 1, 2011, 03:21 PM
    Comment on Curlyben's post
    So there is no saving them?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 1, 2011, 03:25 PM

I did a little research, and found a few sites that all say the same thing. The average life span for a sea monkey is 3 months. Anything more is just plain luck.

They're meant to be a fun thing for kids. They really aren't long lasting, and once the 3 months is up, their time is numbered.

It's nothing you did. Just enjoy them while you have them. :)
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Apr 1, 2011, 07:24 PM

Sea Monkeys are just brine shrimp. Brine shrimp have only one purpose.. food for fish. They don't live forever and their water requirements are relatively easy.

If you decide to hatch brine shrimp again in the future, you can clean the tank with vinegar. Wash out with HOT water and then fill with the cold water and allow for the temperature to rise to where the brine shrimp need it to be.

Like already state, since they're already hatched, then don't worry about the tank being cleaned. Any disruption of water environment will probably kill them off and shorten their already short life span.

Apr 2, 2011, 09:17 AM
    Wow.. Mine lived for about four months.. So I guess I did pretty good until I cleaned it :(
    GZDZ Posts: 139, Reputation: 18

Apr 2, 2011, 02:51 PM
    Lucky098 is correct.I use them whenever I want to raise some angelfish. They are necessary for newly hatched fish.They do best with live food.
    They require a salt water environment.

Using an air pump,run some tubing with about 1 ft. of ridged tubing at the end into an empty plastic liter (soda)bottle. Add 1 to 2 teaspoons of kosher or aquarium salt(mix),add an 1/8 to a 1/4tsp. Of shrimp eggs. Place a 40-60 watt bulb within a few inches in lieu of a heater. You will have hundreds or thousands of shrimp in about 18 hrs. To keep a supply on hand you would start a 2nd bottle 12hrs. Apart. This way one would always be hatched for a days feeding. Whatever you don't use throw out, they go bad.
    I have eggs in the freezer for 10 years now, and they still hatch when I need them. They are very expensive.
    GZDZ Posts: 139, Reputation: 18

Apr 2, 2011, 02:53 PM
    Comment on GZDZ's post
    Let me clarify: Shrimp require salt NOT angelfish!
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Apr 2, 2011, 07:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Motochick View Post
    Wow.. Mine lived for about four months.. So I guess I did pretty good til I cleaned it :(
    LOL 4-6 months is not a very long lifespan in the wish world. A year isn't even that old...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My sea monkeys keep dying [ 3 Answers ]

I have to do a science project in school. For my project I need sea monkeys. I keep doing the steps right and they always live for a couple days then die. What do you think the problem is ?:confused:

Is it true that monkeys could re-type hamlet? [ 30 Answers ]

If you have an unlimited amount of time, 100 monkeys, each with a type writer. Would you eventually get a complete version of Hamlet?

I act my part from finish to start. My fate in hand from sea to shining sea [ 1 Answers ]

I act my part from finish to start. My fate in hand from sea to shining sea

Something sea tragedy not pure title but almost a tragedy in a sea [ 3 Answers ]

I saw a movie and I didn't get its title, can you help me with that? Some friends on vacations plan to sail in a sea and one of them hires a smart ship from another friend. And in the mid of the sea they started jumping in the sea in fun and forget to pull the ladder down and then after they...

Capuchin monkeys [ 1 Answers ]

Would a capuchin make a good pet

View more questions Search