Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rockerchick_682 Posts: 496, Reputation: 72

Mar 30, 2011, 05:45 PM
    Stuck in a lease in a horrible apartment
    My neighbors are horrible. There are constant bass vibrations all day and until well past midnight. I close my windows, I have heavy curtains, I've put foam under my rugs and around my bed. I've talked to the management, the night patrol and the police. Because they can't hear the sounds outside the apartment complex, even though the vibrations are coming from the basement and I live on the third floor, nothing has changed. I get chronic migraines and the noise sure isn't helping. I'm a full time student and I can't do my homework in my apartment. What's the point in living in an apartment, an expensive apartment, when you never want to be in it? I have six months left on the lease? How do I get out? Please help!

P.S. All of you on here that want to desperately say "deal with it", or "you're just too anal", keep it to yourself. I'm looking for advice.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 30, 2011, 06:31 PM

First you can not decide who answers are what type of advice, if that is part of the attitude you are using to deal with things, that well could be your problem.

You can of course record it, video tape the vibrations if they are that strong. And MOVE, then use that in your defense when the landlord sues you.

What is the other neighbors saying, what about the one between you and the basement ?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 30, 2011, 07:46 PM

Have you asked the management if they will let you out of the lease or allow a buy out?

Mar 31, 2011, 12:04 AM
    Comment on ScottGem's post
    I have asked, there is the option to pay two months rent to move out. I cannot afford this.

Mar 31, 2011, 12:06 AM
    Comment on Fr_Chuck's post
    Since you recognize me and my awful attitude towards life, how about you keep your "expert" advice to yourself. The tenants below have given up, I haven't yet. So what should I do when I owe rent on two separate leases and court costs?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 31, 2011, 03:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerchick_682 View Post
    Since you recognize me and my awful attitude towards life, how about you keep your "expert" advice to yourself.
    Didn't you pay attention to what Chuck was telling you? You have NO right to dictate who can answer your questions or how. Once you post a question here (or any Q&A site) you open yourself to whatever responses the responder deems appropriate. Unless the response violates the rules of this site you have no say in how they respond. If you believe a response does violate the rules, then use the Report link to report it. If you don't like the advice you may ignore it. If you disagree with it, you can respond voicing your disagreement with the facts of the advice. But DO NOT presume to dictate who can answer or how.

I agree with Chuck, your 'tude does give an indication of how "easy" you are to get a long with, which may be a part of the problem.

But you seem to know the answer here already. You have to either prove that the tenants are violating the rules of the building or the laws in your area. (Most places require a quiet time between 9-10PM and 6-7AM). You can prove this by renting noise detection devices or calling the police to come into your apt to see the problem. If you can prove that the neighbors are disturbing you then they can be cited.

If you can prove that management is creating an uninhabitable condition by doing nothing, you may be able to break the lease. But proving that will be expensive. Maybe more than the 2 month buyout.

So those are your choices. Prove there is a problem, buyout your lease, or move and risk a lawsuit.

I'm sorry I don't have a better or magic solution for you. But the facts the facts.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I've been living in my apartment for 5 months, my upstairs neighbors are horrible! [ 1 Answers ]

My upstairs neighbors are horrible, constant stomping (either with or without shoes) - they like to have really loud sex, which is disgusting to listen to. The one night, my boyfriend had had enough, when they were going at it. He called the cops, this of course pissed them off and only made the...

Can the apartment lease be signed and buyer rescind lease? [ 1 Answers ]

Person signed lease to apartment and also put in security deposit and roommate decided to back out of lease. Does the 3-day recission apply in the state of Texas?

I'm stuck between 2 horrible worlds. [ 3 Answers ]

When I was about 3 years old my mom and my dad splitand my dad moved out of the province. When I was 6 my mom married my stepdad. I have a half-brother that is 7 years younger than me and a half-sister that is 9 years younger than me. When I was about 11 I started arguing with my stepdad and...

Apartment lease [ 1 Answers ]

I have lived at my residence in which I share an apartment, My roommate has been on a lease here for over 25years. I moved in around seven years ago. For reasons not important she wants me to leave... I said I was put on the lease or had a supplemental lease in my name... She said I don't... How...

Apartment lease [ 2 Answers ]

Hello: Two years ago, I vacated an apartment in raleigh NC before the lease was up. The landlord rerented the apartment and wants two months of rent that I owe. I have no problem paying the rent due and I will. However, the landlord is asking me to pay for "utilities (200), trash removal (500)...

View more questions Search