Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    davidchuncpa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2011, 02:29 PM
    A gift tax return filing requirement by a foreign person
    I am a U.S. citizen.
    My brother in korea wants to give a property in the U.S. to me as a gift.
    In this case is he required to file a gift tax return and pay gift tax?
    Is he also entitled for the gift tax credit even if he is a foreign person?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 31, 2011, 06:56 AM

Only US citizens need file a gift tax form. So assuming your brother is not a US citizen, then no - he does not need to file or pay gift taxes, even though the property is located in the US. See "who must file" for form 709 (the Gift Tax Form) here: Instructions for Form 709 (2010)

And since the gift tax credit goes against estate taxes, that doesn't apply here either.
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Mar 31, 2011, 11:25 AM
    Yes, he has to file and pay tax if the gift exceeds $13,000. See page 3 of instructions to Form 709 (titled "Nonresident Aliens").
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 31, 2011, 03:03 PM

I stand corrected - thanks IntlTax. I'm afraid I was fooled by page 1 of the instructions which mentions only US citizens and residents under "who must file." But indeed on page 3 it specifically addresses nonresident aliens who give tangible property located in the US. And as I read the instructions further, it appears that non-resident aliens are NOT entitled to the lifetime gift tax exclusion, so gift taxes will indeed be due if the property is valued at more than the annual exclusion of $13K. Ouch!
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Mar 31, 2011, 04:54 PM
    Nonresident aliens are not qualified for the lifetime exclusion. I believe that resident aliens do qualify.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

H1B person filing a tax return [ 1 Answers ]

I have an H1B visa and s tarted work since 2/1/10in US. I live in Canada & commute to work. I have a husband and four children that all live in Canada. What form do I need to file? 1040NR? Can I claim my husband and children as dependents? Do I need to include their income in the US return...

Filing you.S. Taxes: Foreign Income Exclusion AND Foreign Tax Credit? Etc. [ 0 Answers ]

Hello. I have a question about how to file U.S. taxes in a way that will give me the most benefit in my situation. Here are the details: 1. I'm a U.S. citizen, living in Japan. 2. I made less than the maximum allowed for the foreign income exclusion for each year I want to file. 3. I...

Is there gift tax on foreign money? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi my name is Olesya, and I am resident of USA since 2005 trying to buy a condo here. My Dad lives in Latvia and wants to transfer me money from his saving for the downpayment (100,000.00$) My question is: Would he have to pay gift tax on it, or I will have to pay something? Thank you

Return of tax-deductible gift [ 3 Answers ]

Have a question regarding the return of a tax-deductible gift that a friend made to a school back in 2003. In 2003 the school accepted the gift and issued him a receipt so that he could deduct the gift from his taxes. Unfortunately in the intervening years he and the school have had an ongoing...

Foreign Gift tax [ 1 Answers ]

I received 200K foreign gift. How can I transfer back to US? Is there any tax implication? What forms I need to file? Thanks

View more questions Search