Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cstanifo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2011, 12:57 PM
    Investment for Grandchildren... good or bad?
    I invested in an INVESCO MID CAP BASIC VALUE FUND for my grandchildren - they each have one -- my question is, is this a good thing, should I keep investing in them or can they lose all that I invested into them depending on the staus of the economy. Also, if I cash these in, will the grandchildren over 18 yrs of age have to pay something or claim something on their taxes?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 29, 2011, 02:36 PM

First regarding taxes - I assume you have set these accounts up as "Uniform Gift to Minors Act" accounts with you acting as the guardian - right? Any gains or losses that are realized must be reported by the account owner (the grandchild) on their own income tax return, regardless of their age.

As for the choice of investment - since I don't know what other investment the grandchildren may have it's impossible to recommend a particular investment. But I do see that Invesco funds carry a sales load of up to 5.5% and annual expenses of 1.66% Those expenses are outrageous - you should be paying no sales load and no more than 1% annual expenses (even that is high). If you want to stick with an investment in equities then I suggest you find a no-load, low cost index fund - say one that tracks the S&P 500. Check out funds from companies like Vanguard, Fidelity, or T Rowe Price for some excellent choices. And pay particular attention to the fees.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 29, 2011, 02:41 PM

Hello cs:

Nobody knows what's GOING to be a good investment, as they ALL involve risk. Even keeping the money in a CD in a bank is not without risk...

Hedging your investments with things that UP when others go DOWN is a good idea too. For me and my grandchildren, that is gold. I buy an ounce coin for them when ever I can. It's a CASH transaction too.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Allianz bad investment [ 4 Answers ]

I obtained a local financial advisor I found online to help me decide what alternatives I have upon waiving my survivor benefit on my husband's upcoming retirement pension, due to us needing all the pension money to pay medical benefits we will no longer have upon a buy-out early retirement. My...

Bad investment properties [ 0 Answers ]

I have two condo's that are very negative cash flow. I am current on their mortgages but I can't keep going they way things are. The best solution for me would be to re-structure the mortages so the rent comes close to the payment. Not sure what is the best thing to do. Shall I discuss with the...

Good buissness plans for minimum investment [ 0 Answers ]

Hi sir. I am completed Msc in microbiology,I have interest in research but carrying in research field is time taking so I want to do side buissness,for money assisting and knowledge spreading throug my skills and education.Hence my kind request to you suggest me a buissness as such so I can...

From a bad reltionship to a good but that turned bad to! [ 27 Answers ]

Hi People, I am a newbie here, I will have to start from the beginning I was going through a bad relationship a few years ago, I was going through domestic violence etc etc. After I gave birth to my daughter I then decided that I didn't want her around violence and arguments everyday so I told...

View more questions Search