Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JellyBean123 Posts: 52, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2011, 11:26 AM
    why is my male hamster being motherly with a grape?
    I gave my male hamster (jerry) a grape and ever since he has been carring it round like a baby then when I put my hand in the cage he takes it to his bed. I then tried to take it away from him and he pulled away!

PLEASE HELP ME =0)
    lauren666666 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2011, 12:02 PM
    This might be a completely different situation but my dog does a similar thing. Every so often she steals a stuffed animal from my little brothers bed and carries it around with her for a couple of weeks. She doesn't let anyone go near it and she treats it like its her puppy. It is very cute and I assume she probably goes through stages where she wants a puppy (she is neutered) so pretends these stuffed animals are alive and then when she's finished with them she shreds them. I don't know if hamsters do the same thing and its weird that it's a male buy maybe he is just feeling like having a baby hamster or maybe your just overreacting and he likes the grape because he likes the grape.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 3, 2011, 12:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JellyBean123 View Post
    he takes it to his bed.
    Hello Jelly:

Taking a grape to bed is normal. What he DOES with the grape might not be..

excon
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 4, 2011, 08:57 AM

My neighbor has an unneutered dog. It periodically "adopts" something (last time it was the TV remote) and carries it around, sleeps with it, guards it - and then loses interest. I've heard of this with a female dog but hers is also a male.

Vet said it's some sort of "nesting" thing.

As a side note - why is this posted here and not in pets?
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2011, 01:58 PM

You'd have a hard time finding a black sock in my house... most are hidden under things. My dog treats them like puppies and we have to take her out of the house for our searches because she gets very sad if we take them. A hampster with a grape though... the entertainment value alone is well worth the cost of a single grape!
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 6, 2011, 07:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dontknownuthin View Post
    You'd have a hard time finding a black sock in my house...most are hidden under things. My dog treats them like puppies and we have to take her out of the house for our searches because she gets very sad if we take them. A hampster with a grape though...the entertainment value alone is well worth the cost of a single grape!
    Heck it would be worth keeping fresh grapes around for that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My dog has not being eating for 3 days what can I do? [ 10 Answers ]

Dog not eating for 3 days why?

Am I being use [ 7 Answers ]

Thank you very much

Still stressing about mayme being pregnant. [ 22 Answers ]

My mom says it's nothing and I can't be pregnant because it's basically impossible to get pregnant without having sex, but if my ex boyfriend did what I think he did before he fingered me by accident than it's a possibility and yes I have re-read over a lot of colums to come the statement that it's...

Motherly Love or Oh-So-WRONG! [ 7 Answers ]

I've just read this on the BBC News website; BBC NEWS | Health | Girl could give birth to sibling (Summary: Woman has frozen her eggs so that her infertile daughter (who is 7 at the mo) can have kids at a later date!) And it's PROPER messing with my head! Surely this can't be ethically...

Being more sexualy attractive [ 34 Answers ]

Hey again all! This place is addictive :D Anyway I was wondering... I am a pretty attractive guy with lots off friends and I am very social. Although I have a problem... I am the guy that ALL girls love to talk to and hang out with. That is of cource really great... BUT

View more questions Search