Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    curious888 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2011, 02:04 AM
    Dec 21st 2012, end of the world ? What say you ?
    What is your opinion on the topic ? Please discuss !
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Mar 29, 2011, 02:26 AM
    Really, who cares.
    If the whole world is going to end and there is nothing YOU can do to stop it, why worry about it..

This has been discussed over and over and over, have a look at the similar threads links.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 29, 2011, 02:32 AM
    It's hogwash.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Mar 29, 2011, 06:26 AM

Moved from Astronomy to Member Discussions.
    QLP Posts: 980, Reputation: 656

Mar 30, 2011, 03:56 AM

I'll let you know when the time comes. Oh wait...
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Mar 30, 2011, 10:36 AM

I think it will make for some really great news footage of the nutters holed up in their bomb shelters.
    Uber Member

Mar 30, 2011, 10:56 AM
    Dec. 21st? I thought it was May 21st?
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/2684387-post25.html

curious888, what do you think?
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Mar 30, 2011, 11:21 AM

I think it is nonsense but there is a small part of me that hopes that it is true. I just think it would be cool to be a part of the end of the world (yes, I'm a little crazy)
    Uber Member

Mar 30, 2011, 11:34 AM
    I have children that I'd love to see grow up and become adults before my eyes. Plus there's tons of things I want to do in my later years.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 30, 2011, 11:40 AM

I'm old and nearly dead now, so I don't care.
    martinizing2 Posts: 1,868, Reputation: 819
    Expert

Mar 31, 2011, 04:19 PM

More than just the Mayans have singled out this date as significant on a global scale , which in itself is amazing.

It is the speculation of what is suppose to occur that nobody agrees on.

From the sources I have looked into the ones that make the most sense are saying that a new beginning of understanding peace and happiness will be brought about by the "earth shattering " events of that day .

For what its worth.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 1, 2011, 02:35 PM

Which story are you basing this end on?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 1, 2011, 02:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by martinizing2 View Post
    More than just the Mayans have singled out this date as significant on a global scale , which in itself is amazing.
    Global scale? How do you figure?

Their time-keeping was circular, not linear. One cycle ends and another begins. That's all. Nothing spectacular or global about that.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 1, 2011, 02:52 PM

Wait, now it's December 12? I thought it was supposed to be in May, or October? Now there's a third supposed date?

If it ends it ends. Nothing anyone can do. I for one plan to live each day the same way I always have, as if it's my last.

You never know when your last day will be. You could step off the sidewalk tomorrow and become bus roadkill.

The only thing anyone can be certain of is their own mortality. Stop worrying about the end and start living in the now!
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 1, 2011, 03:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    Wait, now it's December 12? I thought it was supposed to be in May, or October? Now there's a third supposed date?
    Keep up, girl!

May 21, 2011 -- the Rapture (Harold Camping)

Oct. 21, 2011 - Judgment Day (Harold Camping)

Dec. 12, 2012 - end of the world (misreading of the Mayan calendar)
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 1, 2011, 03:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Global scale? How do you figure?

Their time-keeping was circular, not linear. One cycle ends and another begins. That's all. Nothing spectacular or global about that.
    I agree with the first part. It ends and then begins like any other calendar. But there are significant differences as to the timing of it all. We are living in a unique time for our history that won't be back again for approx 64,000 years.
    Pets Expert

Apr 1, 2011, 03:17 PM

Here's the answer to all your questions.

Name:  maya_cartoon.JPG
Views: 61
Size:  84.1 KB
    Pets Expert

Apr 1, 2011, 03:18 PM

Or better yet,

Dear World,
    Please stop freaking out about 2012. Our calendars ends there because some Spanish d-bags invaded our country and we got a little busy OK?
    Sincerely,
    The Mayans
    martinizing2 Posts: 1,868, Reputation: 819
    Expert

Apr 2, 2011, 02:53 AM
    Quoting
    Califdadof3

Which story are you basing this end on?
    It was on the History International channel. Or Discovery , I'll find it on their website and get the information .
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 12, 2011, 05:30 AM
    These slightly more than 2000 year old cycles are based on ancient observance of the precession of the equinoxes through the zodiac. We get messiahs (last time, Jesus) and we get ends of the world. We are entering Aquarius as all of us hippies know. It doesn't arrive on a single day or even year because each constellation is made of many stars, any one of which can be first to peek over the horizon on the spring equinox. And yes, ancient cultures knew about precession, despite modern astronomers saying how difficult it is without modern instruments, and wikipedia only going back through the known record to 280 BC. More like at least 2500 BC, Egypt and India and South America using statues and pyramids to mark them. With no TV, people spent a lot of time looking up. And knowing what the sky would do in the future was power, so a crafty astronomer called himself a priest and kept his knowledge a secret.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Will The World End In 2012? [ 12 Answers ]

Hello, I don't know if this would come into the subject of Science Fiction and Fantasy. Everybody at my school is saying "why are us kids wasting the last 3 or 4 years of our lifes in school?" Today, I asked one of them what it meant, and they told me all about it. They said that the myan tribe...

Is 2012 going to be the end of the world? [ 6 Answers ]

So I have been doing a lot of research about 2012. I find some websites that say it is not going to happen and some that say a bunch of stuff is going to happen. I am getting really nervous. I do not know what to believe anymore. Does anyone have any opinions about this? Am I over reacting about it?

Will the world end in 2012 [ 17 Answers ]

So I was watching a show today and they were talking about the Mayan calendar and how it ends in 2012. It stated that when the calender ends the world would end. They even gave the that of Dec 22 2012. It goes on to say that The Mayan people were genuises. They knew what would happen on the sun...

Will the world end in 2012? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm not sure this is the right spot to publish this question, but here goes: Do you believe that the world will end in 2012? If so, why? If not, why not?

2012 end of world [ 18 Answers ]

The maya had this belief that they could tell time using a 13 moon counting system and they said that time would end on 21 of December of 2012 now then if you believe this then please put down why you think this if you don't believe like me then put down how and why I think this is fasanating to...

View more questions Search