Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 28, 2011, 04:30 PM
    Gluten free diet suggestions
    Hi everyone.

A few days ago I was talking to our wonderful nurse J9. As most of you know I've been having a lot of health issues. Well, J9 came up with a possible diagnosis, which I will be talking to my doctor about soon. What is this possible diagnosis you ask? Well, it's celiac disease. When I read the symptoms it was as if someone was writing about all my issues, my life. You could literally put my picture up beside the description for this disease.

I will have this confirmed by my doctor, but in the meantime, while I wait for testing, I'd like to try the gluten free diet. That's what's recommended for people with this disease. I figure it can't hurt to try it, even without a diagnosis, so why not, especially if it works.

Here's my problem. I have no idea how to start. What kind of foods can I eat? What should I avoid? I know that regular bread is a no no, but when I checked my super market, they didn't have gluten free bread available. So, where does one go to buy it because I practically live on bread. If I can't find it can I make it? If so, does anyone have a recipe?

Do I have to find a store that sells gluten free products, or can I find what I need to make meals at home from my regular grocer?

Also, cost is an issue. I know these products will cost more, but we're on a tight budget. So, any ideas that could cut costs but still provide the gluten free diet I'm looking for would be greatly appreciated.

Basically, I need a menu.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 29, 2011, 09:33 AM

Oh Google thy name is excellent websites for gluten free diets and gluten free information abounds on it, my dear alty. Fly my dear over to Google and take a look :)
    Just enter 'gluten free diets' and thou shalt have great knowledge.
    Tick
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 29, 2011, 09:59 AM

We buy a gutton free bread mix at both Kroger and Publix, make it in our bread maker.

Also look at rice bread ( yuck)
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2011, 10:00 AM

If there's a bakery near you, they may have gluten free flour, they might sell you a bag? Or a supermarket wholesalers?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 29, 2011, 02:25 PM

Thanks everyone.

Chuck, you made me giggle. Rice bread does indeed sound yucky, but I may have to get used to it.

Bella gave me some great links when I was talking to her. Apparently super store has a gluten free section, so I'll be going there on pay day and checking it all out.

There better not be gluten in chocolate, otherwise you can just kill me now. ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Need help with potassium free & low/no carb diet. [ 0 Answers ]

Low carb & potassium free diet

Gluten free products [ 2 Answers ]

Is the ingredient soy lecithin gluten free and, when the product listing says malt flavoring, is that gluten free? Thank you. I am a celiac person and cannot tolerate any gluten intake

Grain free diet [ 4 Answers ]

I was looking into Wellness Core... for my dog she eats there Wellness Super mix but she has a lot of waste that I don't think she should have poo about 6 times a day!! I was wondering if that is grain related... and is too much protein bad.. for a cocker spaniel or a poodle. Can anyone tell me...

Suggestions for Diet for workaholic ? [ 2 Answers ]

Just looking for diet tips for myself? I am a workaholic and don't have too much time to prepare meals? I also am not a huge meat eater. I can work out 2-3 times a week with cardio; weights maybe, but need to find time.

View more questions Search