Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SkipW Posts: 55, Reputation: 2

Mar 28, 2011, 12:52 PM
    1974 Chevy Truck Brake Bleeding
    I replaced the master cylinder. I did the bleeding on the new one on the bench and lost almost no fluid during the installation. The brakes feel fine. The master cylinder is way above anything else in this brake system. Since the small amount of air is at the top of the lines where they enter the master cylinder, will that air bleed up through it as it did during the bleeding on the bench and ultimately leave? Or do I need to go through the total bleeding procedure which somehow forces that air all the way down to the wheel cylinders and out?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2011, 01:28 PM

You will probably be fine, but, to do the job properly, you should bleed the whole system. It's an easy 30 minute procedure on a truck. Bleed in this order: RR, LF, LR, and RF.

Be sure to tighten both lines going into your master cylinder with a flare nut wrench.

Mar 29, 2011, 08:42 AM
    Comment on TxGreaseMonkey's post
    I'll probably do it shortly. However, my Haynes says RR, LR, RF, LF for these trucks.
    It is hard to go against the word of someone from Texas regarding old trucks, chuckle!

Thanks... Skip
    Born and raised in Texas
    Uber Member

Mar 29, 2011, 10:07 AM

Come on home, Native Texan, where you belong. We won't hold it against you that you moved to San Diego.

Since you have a split braking system (RR and LF on one circuit, LR and RF on the other), you bleed the furthest wheel from the master cylinder (RR) then the LF. Afterwards, you bleed the next furthest wheel from the master cylinder (LR) then the RF. That's the logic behind it.

Mar 30, 2011, 09:01 AM
    Hey Tex... Perhaps, it's different because it has disc front and drum rear. One master cylinder circuit holds twice as much fluid as the other and one brake circuit line to the master cylinder is larger than the other. I assumed that one circuit is for the front and the other is for the rear. What'cha think, now? It's a Bendix type one
    Master cylinder. Thanks... Skip
    Uber Member

Mar 30, 2011, 09:12 AM

The disk and drum configuration does not affect the two standard diagonal braking circuits. Automotive engineers want you to have one front and one rear brake, on opposite sides of the vehicle, in case something happens to the other circuit (e.g. a caliper, wheel cylinder, or brake line failing). It has been done this way for at least 60 years.

Apr 1, 2011, 03:11 PM
    Hey Tex, Apparently this is another way to do it. I have found sites indicating the disc, front, brakes connect to the larger of the two chambers on the master cylinder while the drum, rear, brakes connect to the smaller of the two chambers on the master cylinder. This kind of makes sense because the drums are always adjusting, thus not needing a lot of fluid replacement from the small chamber, and the discs do not adjust but keep drawing additional fluid from the larger chamber. By the way, I was an engineer, too.

Best... Skip

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Chevy truck brake lights [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I have 1993 chevyZ71 truck and my brake lights don't work, I have checked the bulbs, fuses, brake switch, and also checked under the hood for the second fuse box, which I did not see one. Is there anything that I missed?

1994 Chevy Truck wiring-brake light not working. [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: 1994 Chev K1500 4x4 When the truck is running there are no brake lights, when the truck is off the brake lights work. I checked wiring schematics, tested the wires, removed the trailer wiring. Can anyone solve this mystery?

Brake problems on gmc truck [ 0 Answers ]

Brakes sometimes feel like the anti-lock system is activeated when it's not suppso to

1994 Chevy truck - no brake lights or rear tail lights [ 0 Answers ]

I have a 1994 Chevy 1500 truck, I have headlights and front parking lights and tail lights. I have no rear lights with the engine off. I have turn signals (weak) when the engine is running but no tail lights or Brake lights ( no third light either). I did notice that when I have the turn signals on...

1974 Chevy truck will crank but won't start [ 10 Answers ]

Truck lost power while driving down road. Will crank now but won't start. I replaced ignition coil, point and condenser... roter turns. Any suggestions?

View more questions Search