Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Airportrep Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2011, 11:34 AM
    501c 3 payout?
    If a church member(no one on staff or on the board) has serious car trouble, needs a new engine but is struggling financially and can't afford one, can the church as a means of charity, give this person the money to replace the engine?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 30, 2011, 07:32 PM

Charity to individuals is a dangerous thing. It can be done - but (a) it's a taxable payment to the individual (the church needs to issue a 1099-MISC if the award is greater than $600), and (b) as a matter of good governance the church board better have a very clear policy on the criteria for making such awards. How do they determine who is needful enough, and in what amount? Do they give money for car repairs to anyone who asks? Who makes the decision? Also, if this expenditure was not included in the approved annual budget the full board ought to take a vote to approve it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Form for address change EIN and 501c [ 4 Answers ]

Our church has its EIN number and of course we are a registered 501C3 but we have moved the church office, I have looked and could not find, and "tax time" so calls to IRS have been no help. I need to put in a change of address for our EIN and to update the info for our 501C3 What forms do I...

501C checking account rules [ 2 Answers ]

Can a checking account be opened under a 501C (California) with a non-officer signer? Also can it have the signers name on the account and just use the 501C number?

501c rules regarding agenda's [ 7 Answers ]

Does agenda need to be spacific like saying discossion & possible action and if it is not on the agenda can it be discussed and acction done? We are a 501c corp.

IRS 501c(4) Neighborhood Defined [ 1 Answers ]

Can an online social networking site be considered as a "particular municipality or neighborhood" by IRS 501c(4) filing standards?

View more questions Search