Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bobbyburke Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2011, 09:57 AM
    promissory note
    I live in Fl. And have a balloon promissory note on my mobile home that reached maturity last year. The lender has note contacted me and I keep paying. The interest is very high and on a $30,000 loan I have paid $16,500 with a balance of $29,000 still due. I need to know what I can do to get out of this. This home is dropped in value by 50-60% so I can't sell it for what is due. Help
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 28, 2011, 10:12 AM
    The lender is cheerfully collecting your very high interest past the due date; why would he call it in?
    This is why people walk away from their homes. But I take it you have no where to go...
    I would try to talk to the lender and say you can't pay. If you do it right, you might be able to negotiate a lower rate, one that is in their interest to accept vs. selling it for half. Do the math, or tell people here what it's worth and what your current monthly payments are, and maybe we can come up with a number that would be worth it to them. They might totally reject such offers, however, so be prepared to keep paying.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 28, 2011, 10:35 AM

Although a bankruptcy "cram-down" is not currently permitted for residential real estate, it might be possible to do it for a mobile home. That might be something to consider.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to cancel a promissory note? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a car registered in my trust name.. I signed a promissory note to my son for the car however the note said nothing about it being taken out of the trust name. I need to cancel this note and reclaim the car as the car still remains in my Trust and I am the trustee. I have filed bankruptcy...

How do I call a promissory note? [ 7 Answers ]

I hold a promissory note from a small company. The note is due, and I verbally asked for the company to pay the note. They said they cannot afford to, but I know they absolutely can, without injury to the business, because I know the book keeper. What do I say in a letter to them that I want the...

Promissory Note [ 6 Answers ]

Hi all, If a company on 12/31/05 discounts a promissory note of $30,000 at a bank. The note was created on 06/30/05 with a term of one year, and an interest rate of 8%. The bank's discount rate is 12%. How can I record this entry? I'm sort of confused with what rate to use here, thank...

Advice for a Promissory Note [ 4 Answers ]

About 3 years ago. I signed a promissory note from a friend who owned his own business to help me start up a business that he thought would be good for me. Our relationship dissolved almost three months after the promissory note was drafted. I have not heard from them until I received a letter...

Promissory Note [ 3 Answers ]

I lent money to a so-called "friend" of mine where I had him sign a Promissory note. The promissory note explained the terms for re-payment. It also clearly stated the consequences in case of default. I also had a security agreement with his home and the contents being the collateral. I have...

View more questions Search