Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mystery Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2007, 12:42 PM
    First time
    Well this is the situation... its the stupidest thing I've ever done in my life... so I stole this bracelet from the bay and I got caught... they said I was arersted and I have a court day and a day to go to the police for fingerprints etc... at first I denyed stealing anything but then I didn't want to make things worse so I just admitted it.. and they baned me from the mall and the store for a year... whats going to happen to me in court?. will they charge me or put me in jail or soemthing?. im 18 and have a clean record... and I don't want it to be on my permamnent record... im really scared because if I get fined a lot of money... I don't even have that much money to pay it... :( :confused: what do I do? >
    starsbooty Posts: 119, Reputation: 7

Jan 22, 2007, 12:52 PM
    I'm not exactly sure what is going to happen, I'm sure if they do give you a fine you will have a certain amount of time to pay it off. If it wasn't that expensive I think its called petty thief, I'm not sure though, but I really doubt only being 18 and your first offense that you will have to go to jail. Don't worry and good luck!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 22, 2007, 01:01 PM
    There are a few threads here that deal with the same issue. This one:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/crimin...+under+%245000

Contains specific info to help you.

Jan 22, 2007, 05:08 PM
    OK but how much do u think they would fine me?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 22, 2007, 05:46 PM
    OK, from a legal standpoint ( not moral) confessing never makes it better, it only convicts you.

In court, to be convicted they have to prove the crime occurred within the rules of the law. If they can not prove that normally you are not convicted.

The thing you do ( from a legal idea) is not to make any statements when being questioned and ask for an attorney.

AHH? Charge you, you are chaged, that is what having to go and get fingerprinted and appearing in court means.

And yes this is on your record now, and depending on what happens it will remain there the rest of your life. You can perhaps get it expounged in a few years but that is only maybe.

Most likely yes all they will do is give you a fine, normally under 1000 dollars but it just depends on the judge. It is possible that you could be given a little jail time, because it is allowed for the judge, but that is most likely not the case

Jan 22, 2007, 06:07 PM
    There are other threads here that also deal with the fine issue. It will probably be a few hundred dollars.

Jan 23, 2007, 04:58 PM
    Should I get a lawyer?. is it necesarry?. and is there anyway that instead of getting a fine or something I can make a deal to do community service of some sort?. and how can I do this 'Alternative Measures program?. is it possible for me to do it or no..

Jan 23, 2007, 06:18 PM
    Google the program and you will find details about it. The fine is imposed by the store not the court so I doubt if they will accept community service. I would advise getting a lawyer.

Jan 25, 2007, 09:30 AM
    So what would be the best thing for me to do when I go to court?. like should I tell them yes I did it and I'm sorry or should I say something else..

Jan 25, 2007, 09:35 AM
    Did you check into that program like I said?

As for going to court, don't plead anything until you talk to an atty?

Jan 25, 2007, 09:39 AM
    You I checkend the program.. and its useless nhbecause I had to ask for that while I was being wuestioned and all that... theyve already given me a court date.. its too late now... and an attourny?. how do I talk to them?. I honestly have no clue how to find a laywer or what an attrouny does... :S

Jan 25, 2007, 09:47 AM
    You need to contact an atty who will look into the Alternative Measures program for you. I just checked and there is nothing there about when you have to ask for it. It appears you can ask up to when you appear in court. Ask at the courthouse for an attorney.
    queball Posts: 34, Reputation: 2

Jan 25, 2007, 10:04 AM
    Court etiquite is a lot like military etiquite, in other words, don't speak unless spoken to, dress appropriatly, etc. As far as punishment goes, it depends on 1. the value of the item stolen, 2. the attitude of the store, and 3. the disposition of the judge on that particular day. I know that I will probably get blasted for that one, but is unfortunately true. And, by the way, it may not be nesecary to get a lawyer, if you have already "confessed" to the crime. The court won't look at you any different if you have a lawyer or not, but you can at least "throw yourself on the mercy of the court". And, being your first offense, you can probably look forward to what they call "11-29" which means 11 months and 29 days of jail that will most likely be suspended and substituted with 1 year of probation. Also, there will be sourt costs and fines, usually totaling around $500. And since you have already "confessed" it would probably be better to plead guilty in front of the judge. Who knows, he may go easy on you since you are complying and cooperating.
    queball Posts: 34, Reputation: 2

Jan 25, 2007, 10:06 AM
    If you really want an atterny, just look in the yellow pages under "criminal law"
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2007, 10:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by queball
    3. the disposition of the judge on that particular day. I know that I will probably get blasted for that one, but is unfortunatly true.
    Hello que:

You're not going to get blasted from me because, not only is it true, it's worse than that (at least here in the US). Due to mandatory sentencing laws, prosectors have MORE power than judges do. So, not only do you have to worry about judges, you have to worry about the prosecutors disposition that day too, PLUS his political ambitions.

excon

Jan 25, 2007, 10:43 AM
    The advantage of having an atty, even after one has confessed, is in being able to negotiate the best deal. If you just plead guilty, you basically throw yourself on the mercy of the judge. As previously noted, if the judge's ulcer is acting up that morning you could get jail time.

I would not advise anyone to plead guilty unless they have a deal in the works as to sentencing. That's where an atty comes in handy.

Jan 25, 2007, 04:29 PM
    Alternative Measures is a program which allows selected first-time young offenders an opportunity to have their charge withdrawn by fulfilling an agreement negotiated with a community panel. Thus, they avoid court sentencing and a criminal record.

This is what I found it means…but it sais “they avoid a court sentencing and a criminal record”…should I talk to an attourney now.. before I go to court then?

Jan 25, 2007, 05:13 PM
    Yes, that's what I told you.

Jan 25, 2007, 06:30 PM
    Sorry for asking a million questions... but is there any way I could ask for the alternative program without a laywer or an atterny or whtever... no joke I'm broke.. :S
    Salim1010 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2007, 01:28 AM
    U do NOT get a criminal record if u are fingerprinted and taken to court. This is a misunderstanding.(for employers) U can still get a job without employers knowing u had stolen something. Listen, u can get off this. You are going to be convicted.. BUT what u could do is a criminal discharge. Mostlikey get probation and fine/community service hours depending on what the judge wants. Then it will be gone once it is all completed. Also.. ask Legal Councel or a lawyer about the Alternative measures. This is the easiest way out. In your case DO NOT FIGHT the charge because you have no defenses. U were caught red handed. Take care... ciao!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dark brown lines going across my screen from time to time [ 10 Answers ]

I have a problem with my computer monitor, I have these brown horizontal lines that go across my screen sometimes (REALLY ANNOYING). I just replaced the video card so its not that, also if I hit the side of the monitor the lines go away:p Just wondering if there's anything I can do that can fix it!...

Computer won't start up first time, but will second time [ 8 Answers ]

So this is a completely different computer first off. When I press the power button, everything powers up, but the computer does not post, or beep. If you leave the computer on for like 10 seconds, turn it off, and then turn it immediately back on, it turns on, posts, beeps, boots into Windows...

Part time or full time resident? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am a student in PA and spent about 3 months in New York during the summer for an internship. Since my primary domicile was still in PA (since I had to return for the next year of classes), am I a resident of PA for the full year or a part year resident? Likewise when I file state tax...

When is the right time? [ 8 Answers ]

Okay I need some help with something. Okay so girls how long should we be together with someone until it's a good time for a guy to give you a promise ring(promise ring is for I promise to be with her and be there for her forever). What would some of the signs be if she really into me, acually...

View more questions Search