Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Motochick Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2011, 07:05 PM
    Is it okay in the Christian religion to kiss before marriage?
    I am curious.. I am 14 and I have a pretty serious boyfriend.. Haha, that sounds stupid. But I really want to know if it is against Christian religion (Assembly of God) to kiss him. I want to but then I don't want to because I don't want to do bad.. PLEASE HELP!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 27, 2011, 07:11 PM

Most Assembly of God preachers I know, would say that you are too young to have a serious enough relationship to be kissing.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 27, 2011, 07:20 PM

There are all kinds of kissing, from a very chaste peck on the cheek to very sexy and provocative kisses that may draw the participants into a broader range of sexual behaviors. Is any of this okay?

I suggest you talk with one of the deacons or elders at your church. Every Christian denomination, even each Christian congregation, has its own parameters of what is permitted.
    dwashbur Posts: 1,456, Reputation: 175
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2011, 09:13 PM

It depends on what's in your heart. If it's for affection, closeness, that sort of thing, there's probably nothing wrong with it unless it starts stirring other desires. But I agree with WG; ask your particular church leaders what they think. Ultimately it's your decision, just double-check your motives.
    hauntinghelper Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 290
    Paranormal and Spiritual Interests

Mar 28, 2011, 03:07 PM
    Biblically speaking, there isn't much to say against it. But this is where your personal convictions and boundaries kick in. Kissing in itself isn't the problem... it's the road that certain kissing can lead down that could be the problem. Just be careful. I'm with the others though, I have doubts of any relations ship at that age as being "serious".
    HeadStrongBoy Posts: 351, Reputation: -4

Mar 29, 2011, 02:04 AM
    Why do the good Christians who are most active on this site and who have such impressive knowledge of the Bible hesitate to answer this question with more Biblical directness ?

It makes you wonder.

Equivocal statements like "It depends on what's in your heart."

The Bible clearly tells us what's in the human heart. Jeremiah 17:9 The heart [is] deceitful above all [things] and desperately wicked. Who can know it ?

That is the human heart before God gives the individual a new heart. The Bible is not referring to the pump that moves blood through our bodies. It's referring to the soul, the spirit essence. Ezekiel 36:26 That verse in Ezekiel declares the essence of God's plan of salvation more concisely than many verses in the so called New Testament.

I would say that, since Judgment Day is so very close at hand (May 21, 2011), it is insane to think of romance if one is not absolutely certain of ones salvation. Love of God is the first and greatest commandment. Romantic love is totally irrelevant in the light of eternity.
    Motochick Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2011, 02:36 PM
    Comment on HeadStrongBoy's post
    Oh my gosh! That is so true... I have been thinking about my question and it does seem kind of stupid. But I do take all my relationships seriously. And recently I rededicated myself to God. More focus on him. Less on my boyfriend. Thanks you guys.
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2011, 04:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by HeadStrongBoy View Post
    Why do the good Christians who are most active on this site and who have such impressive knowledge of the Bible hesitate to answer this question with more Biblical directness ?

It makes you wonder.

Equivocal statements like "It depends on what's in your heart."

The Bible clearly tells us what's in the human heart. Jeremiah 17:9 The heart [is] deceitful above all [things] and desperately wicked. Who can know it ?

That is the human heart before God gives the individual a new heart. The Bible is not referring to the pump that moves blood through our bodies. It's referring to the soul, the spirit essence. Ezekiel 36:26 That verse in Ezekiel declares the essence of God's plan of salvation more concisely than many verses in the so called New Testament.

I would say that, since Judgment Day is so very close at hand (May 21, 2011), it is insane to think of romance if one is not absolutely certain of ones salvation. Love of God is the first and greatest commandment. Romantic love is totally irrelevant in the light of eternity.
    I'd say if the world is ending that soon, why waste time with anything else? KISS LIKE CRAZY!!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 29, 2011, 07:24 PM

And if all of the posters will look at the question, the OP wanted to know according to a specific denomination, what they teach about it.

Remember we are talking about a church with strict rules on dating, no dancing and more. If we are trying to answer a question specific to what the poster said, HeadStrong was actually the closest, ( except for the end of the world sillyness) that they do teach that your relationship with Jesus comes first,
    Ultra Member

Mar 30, 2011, 12:02 PM

For some reason I missed the specific denomination part of the question. Sorry. However, I suspect the answer is going to vary from one congregation to another, so the best way to get an answer is to ask the leaders of your own particular church
    HeadStrongBoy Posts: 351, Reputation: -4

Mar 30, 2011, 01:30 PM
    Sorry. I also missed the specific denomination part of the question.

But sometimes it's necessary to read between the lines. And the definition of kiss is also a very polite way of saying marital relations. And as far as specific denominations go... I really don't care. Unless the asker prefers to make a point of it.

In my opinion the Bible is crystal clear on the point of physical intimacy before marriage. IT IS SIN.
    Of course we can prevaricate, but the question seems clear enough to me. Regardless of denomination.
    hauntinghelper Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 290
    Paranormal and Spiritual Interests

Mar 30, 2011, 06:30 PM
    Comment on dwashbur's post
    Exactly. However, attending many different denominations growing up... I've RARELY known for it to be an issue... especially one where a denomination has "rules" for it.
    PinkHarley Posts: 15, Reputation: -1

Apr 10, 2011, 03:00 PM
    I am not of your faith, but this is what I taught my daughter. I told her that she only has just a few short years to be totally SELFISH and focus on herself. What she needs to do now, while she is not responsible for a husband or children or a job, is to learn and grow and become the best person she can be. Then when she has an education, knows who she is (and at 14 you have not even started to learn who you are), has established her own plans for her future and has had enough life skills experience and knows her faith well enough that she has a clear idea of the type of a man she is looking for... then - and only then - is the right time to start pursuing dating relationships with men.

We define dating as the pursuit of a marriage mate, by one who is prepared and ready to BE married. We think of it as courting. Perhaps you should look up what courting is.

Since we do not feel that at the age of 17 she is ready to marry - she is also not dating. Since she is not dating, she is focusing on learning and doing well in school. She is focused on earning good grades that will turn into college scholarship money. Once she is in college she will continue to study hard. Once in college, then she will feel more prepared to start dating. She will go to a church college. And guess what, she will be surrounded by really smart nice single guys of her faith - LOTS of them. Doesn't that sound like a good plan?

Does she like boys now? Yes. Does she want to get involved in kissing and getting distracted from her goals now? NO. She looks at her peers who are getting too close physically and too emotionally involved when they are not mature enough yet. They are dealing with possessive behaviors, hurt feelings, distrust, loyalty conflicts and generally losing their female friends and instead competing against them for the least desirable boys. They are getting distracted from their goals.

MOTOCHIK - the young men who will make the BEST husbands are not the ones who want to fool around with a 14 year old now. They are the quiet shy ones who are just trying their best at school and are behaving nicely around girls. While you may be flattered by a boys attentions now or even wish you had them - you should consider the hormones of young men and not try to distract them, because they also need time to grow up, mature and learn to provide for their future family.

What happens to young teens who start kissing and getting physical with each other too early. They don't have the self control to stop themselves, they end up getting pregnant, and then the options are not good. Are you willing to abort a child if your boyfriend does not want to or is not old enough to support you? Are you looking forward to being a single mother by 16? Will your family be proud or ashamed of you? Are you willing to sacrifice the chance of getting a good education? Do you want to be able to support your future family in case your husband dies or is crippled? These are the things you SHOULD be thinking about. If you are thinking about kissing - you are on the wrong track.

I believe God did create in us the natural desire and attraction to be with the opposite sex. But - you are not ready to be a good judge yet of who that person should be. And even if you were, he is not ready yet for those responsibilities and neither are you.

Imagine that your life right now can be compared to standing in the center of a room. All around the room are doors which represent options in life. In one door you can become an artist, in another a musician, in another a doctor, in another a biologist. So many choices are open to you tight now. You are only limited by your own effort to go through those doors. But with every choice you make, you may open the doors wider to in or you may lock them shut.

Please be more mature than 90% of young girls your age. Commit to being truly selfish and focus on becoming a great person. I promise you if you focus on becoming the woman that your dream guy will be looking for, then you will end up with your dream guy. If you focus on kissing now - you'll end up with a hormonally motivated but selfish and immature guy who will bring you nothing but disappointment in your life. I hope you will be strong - and selfish!
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2011, 05:28 AM

There is nothing in the bible that would suggest a kiss is a sin. There is only ONE body, ONE church. The denominations and rules are all just man made ideas and regulations.
    Hope12 Posts: 159, Reputation: 25

Apr 28, 2011, 09:45 AM
    Hi,
    (Proverbs 25:28) 28 As a city broken through, without a wall, is the man that has no restraint for his spirit.
    Are you ready for marriage? I hope not at age 14! Remember you may give a kiss out of affection for tis young man, but can you be sure it won't leed to other things? Many a young girls have gotten raped because of just so called kissing! Kissing can be a clean expression between a young women (not a girl of 14) and young man contemplating marriage.

Ask yourself, “Why do I want to date? By kissing this boy am I giving the okay to go further? Why can't I hang out with him in a group setting? What are my intentions? Do I want to marry this person? Is this just a form of recreation, or just some one to spend the weekends with?

At first just just a simple thing as holding hands may make you feel warm all over and after a while it just isn't enough so young ones start kissing. Soon though that will not be enough, Why? Because that is the way man and women were created by God to react. When two people are old enough for marriage it is best they date in groups or have a chaperon with them. All these special feelings are a chain of events designed by God to lead to the outcome of sexual relations between married couples. No one can change the facts of life! You may think “it's just kissing” Don't fool yourself, Why? Because no matter how hard you try to prevent that last link (sex) from taking place. Kissing stimulates the desire for sexual relations. The Bible calls this fornication, which is sex outside f the marriage union.

(1 Corinthians 6:9-11) 9 What! Do YOU not know that unrighteous persons will not inherit God's kingdom? Do not be misled. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men kept for unnatural purposes, nor men who lie with men, 10 nor thieves, nor greedy persons, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit God's kingdom. 11 And yet that is what some of YOU were. But YOU have been washed clean, but YOU have been sanctified, but YOU have been declared righteous in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ and with the spirit of our God.

Take cae,
    Hope12

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Catholic and Christian Marriage [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I am Catholic and my fiance is Protestant Christian. We plan to get married soon but we both agree that we want to give respect to each of our own beliefs. With this we agree that we have two weddings. The first one would be Catholic and with families only and the second one would be the...

Marriage between Muslim and Christian. [ 2 Answers ]

Hello Sir, May I know this question's answer: Is there any restriction to Marry a Christian woman? For example the guy is a muslim and want to marry a christian woman and none of them going to convert, so is it possible for them to get married in Muslim Rules?? Thanks for your support and...

Young Marriage, Families and Religion [ 10 Answers ]

Hi there, Im needing to get opinions about a dilemma I am facing. I am 20 years of age and have been with my partner for almost 4 years now. I am head over heels for him even more so now than 4 years ago. My question relates to marriage. One year after we started dating he proposed to me. I said no...

Jew/christian marriage [ 4 Answers ]

I read somewhere that if a Jewish women marries a non-Jewish man, the children are considered Jewish. I was wondering if this is automatic or do the children get to choose for themselves when they are older.

Christian Record of Marriage [ 1 Answers ]

Found this on another site,I visit, wouldn't this be a better record of Marriage, over the so called Marriage License the state would like you to get. What is a license anyway. Link: http://www.suijuris.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=508&d=1132798112 Black Law Dictionary Seventh...

View more questions Search