Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BPW08 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2007, 11:40 AM
    Ugly paneling!
    Can you dry wall over paneling? If so, what type of dry wall and how thick should it be. Any information would be greatly appreciated!
    sledgehammer Posts: 12, Reputation: 4

Jan 26, 2007, 08:21 PM
    Sure you can! If there are studs behind the panelling. You can buy switch and receptacle box extenders (check local bylaws) to bring the receptacles,switches out flush.
    I'd use 1/2" drywall.-Paul
    elmo13 Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Aug 6, 2007, 07:16 PM
    What about painting directly over the panelling?? if it has those ugly line patterns in it, just fill them in, and then you can paint right over it?
    harleyds Posts: 56, Reputation: 2

Aug 8, 2007, 07:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by BPW08
    Can you dry wall over paneling? If so, what type of dry wall and how thick should it be. Any information would be greatly appreciated!
    Check behind the paneling and see if there is already drywall behind it. Odds are there is. At that point, all you need to do is smooth the wall out and paint. If you drywall over it, you are losing about an inch of space from one end to the other end...

How difficult would it really be to remove the paneling? Its really best to do the job right the first time.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2007, 09:34 PM
    Yes you can drywall over the panelling, remember there will be a great deal of dust to deal with from the sanding of the mudded joints and screw/nail head covering mud. Would be less of a mess to clean up if you just painted.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Aug 12, 2007, 06:42 PM
    You Can Use 1/4 To 3/8 Or Even 1/2, Either Way You Have To Rip Jamb Extensions For The Jambs On Door And Windows, As Far As The Rip You'll Need That Will Depend On The Thickness Of Sheetrock You Use.
    As Far As Screws Use 1/4 Drywall Screws , No Nails.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ugly legs [ 4 Answers ]

Hey I'm 24 and I have 2 kids... and I have a real big problem... I have some really ugly veins on the back of my legs.. mainly right behind the knee where our legs bend... I've always had dark veins.. even as a kid I remember looking down at my legs and seeing my viens.. with my first daughter I...

What to do about butt-ugly brick [ 5 Answers ]

I'm currently remodeling a 1500 sq. ft. ranch house. I've already gutted the interior. The outside of the house has brick veneer that is very unattractive. Call me crazy, but I prefer the look of vinyl siding. Here's my dilemma: This remodel will include several changes that could be...

Ugly Luck! [ 2 Answers ]

A deformed and ugly man walks into his local pub with a big grin on his face. "What are you so happy about?" asks the barman. "I'll tell you," replies the ugly man. "You know, I live by the railway. Well, on my way home last night, I noticed a young woman tied to the tracks, like in the...

Ugly leg scars [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I'm female with dark brown skin, when I was 12 I broke my leg and the doctors had put a steel pin through it, about 5cms down from my knee (in one side and out the other) so I have 2 little scars on my right leg, which are about 2cms each I have never worn a skirt or shorts I can't even go to...

View more questions Search