Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    missypoo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2011, 09:22 AM
    I want to get custody of my niece
    My 7 yr old niece lives in sc with my mom who has full custody. My mom is verbally and physically abusing my niece. I live in nc and need to know asap how to file for custody. Can I file it in the state I live in or do I need to file in the state my niece lives in?
    adviceishere Posts: 1,027, Reputation: 492
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2011, 09:35 AM

Hi, sorry I'm not experienced in law but there is a family law section on this website also and lots of experts can help if you would also like to ask your question there :) just browse through topics
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 27, 2011, 11:42 AM

{Moved from Children forum-<>}

You will need to file where the child is in residence. But before filing, if there is physical abuse, why not report it to the local family services agency. Let them know that you are willing to foster the child. They will do an investigation and, if your niece is places with you, then you can apply for custody when she becomes a resident.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I get custody of my niece and how [ 1 Answers ]

My sister and I were very close she died in 1999 and she told me she wanted me to raise her daughter who when she died was only 17 months old. She was not married but the dad did claim her on the birth certificate. When my sister died my niece stayed with me for a few months, but when her dad...

I have temp. Custody of my niece how do I get full custody? [ 2 Answers ]

My sister has 3 kids and don't have custody of any of them. I have temporary custody of her 1 year old and the other the other 2's father has custody of them. She signed her to me for a year, but when that year is up she might want her back and I want to have everything ready for that. If you can...

How to obtain custody of my niece! [ 2 Answers ]

My niece currently lives with me. I have a notarized paper that states that I can put her in school and take her to the doctor etc. I realize that the paper is not legally binding. However it is working at the moment. There is a long story behind my nieces life and for a child in the first grade it...

Custody of niece and Nephew [ 1 Answers ]

My sister died of cancer a year ago, leaving behind two sons and a daughter. I lived with my brother and law for a short period, trying to help with the children, but I found it difficult to get work done and very crowded. So I got my own house, and I took the youngest of the children (with my...

I want custody of my niece! [ 3 Answers ]

I need custody of my niece she is being neglected by her mother. Her mother is supporting her boyfriend that has no job and no car that is living off her and abusing both of them physcially. I need help getting her outa that household.

View more questions Search