Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bobbyellerman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2011, 07:12 AM
    Accusations of drug use.
    What action can I take against an employer who has accused me of illegal drug use to the NYS Unemployment. Employer has no proof or grounds for accusation. Will this effect future employment? Can this employer be made to retract his written statement? Is this employer liable for damages if my earning ability is effected.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 27, 2011, 07:17 AM

What has the unemployment office stated? You have a right to have it reviewed. If you have received damages because of the claim you may have the right to sue your exemployer.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2011, 07:17 AM

If what was said was said maliciously, with no proof, yes, you could have an action. Unless the employer is stupid (which is always possible) the "illegal drug use" info will not be given to any prospective employers. They will simply say you were let go and not give a reason.

If you can PROVE this lie affecting your employment and you were damaged financially, yes, you have an action.

At the moment NYS is employee friendly - have you filed an appeal with Unemployment?
    Xan-Kriegor Posts: 158, Reputation: -2

Mar 27, 2011, 07:33 AM
    Not if it isn't true
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2011, 07:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbyellerman View Post
    What action can I take against an employer who has accused me of illegal drug use to the NYS Unemployment. Employer has no proof or grounds for accusation. Will this effect future employment? Can this employer be made to retract his written statement? Is this employer liable for damages if my earning ability is effected.
    Hello b:

If he's made this accusation, I'm sure your application for benefits has been delayed, so he's ALREADY caused you damages... If it's WRITTEN, you have a copy of it. Good. Will this guy say the same thing to a prospective employer?? I don't know why not. Try to catch him. This guy is stepping on his crank. If you handle this right you could OWN his business.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Neighbor making accusations [ 18 Answers ]

I have a neighbor that keeps making false accusations about me. It all started back in February when she sent an email to my husband informing him that I threaten her and her children, have been witnessed vandalizing her car, and parents and staff at our children's school have witnessed me...

Sexual Accusations [ 1 Answers ]

Hi... I have been working in a well known retail company for about a year and a half now worked my way up in my department and thought I was well respected by my fellow co workers as well as management then I come to find out that people have been spreading rumors that Ive slept with multiple...

Wrongful accusations [ 19 Answers ]

The vice principals at my son's school are interviewing other students to find out if my son is selling marijuana to other students. My son is denying that he sells or uses drugs. They found nothing on my son, but found drugs on the other kids. I gave my son a drug test which came out negative. I...

Wrongful accusations [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, My boyfriend and I had a very bad arguments, and 3 years ago he was charged for assaulting me, and then we got back together and things were going very smooth and he had a good job and very happy,, and on Jan 2008, he drank so much and started to argu and insulted my family... I asked him to...

View more questions Search