Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dragonsalu161 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2011, 05:16 AM
    Divide 30 by half And add 10 . What you will get?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Mar 27, 2011, 05:18 AM
    A lot more than you initially think..

What happens when you DIVIDE by a fraction ?
    jcaron2 Posts: 986, Reputation: 204

Mar 27, 2011, 06:57 AM
    Let's do this one step at a time. I know you can do the second step, so we'll start with the first.

What's 30 divided by 1/2? Let's start with a real-life example where you can do this division in your head: If it costs 50 cents (1/2 of a dollar) to buy a can of soda, how many cans can you buy with 30 dollars?

Now the "mathematical" way to do this: Remember that division is the same thing as "multiplication by the reciprocal". That phrase simply means that you take the divisor (the thing that you're dividing by) and you "flip it over" as a fraction, then multiply instead of divide. So division by 1/2 becomes multiplication by 2/1 (which is the same as plain ol' 2). Likewise, division by 5/7 is the same as multiplication by 7/5; division by 14 (which is the same as 14/1) is the same as multiplication by 1/14.

So 30 divided by 1/2 is the same as 30 multiplied by 2. What does that equal?

Now just add 10 to your answer.
    eawoodall Posts: 230, Reputation: 5

Apr 3, 2011, 06:00 PM
    Exaple:
    You have 30 pizzas, they cut them in half,
    Then they give you ten slices of the same size free because you bought so much pizza.

How many slices of pizza do you have?

30 / (1/2) + 10
    Note :division is invert and multiply equivalent
    30(2/1) + 10
    60/1 + 10
    60 + 10

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding a bathroom or add a shower to existing half bath? [ 1 Answers ]

Of course, I will get someone to come by and get an estimate, but I don't know if I will even be wasting their time. I'd like to get this done under $4000 or so. I also live in a condo, I don't know in general how the average condo association would react to such a thing, but I will soon find out....

Can I add a shower to a basement half baath with an electrical box in the room? [ 1 Answers ]

I want to finish my basement and put a bathroom in. The builder put a drain stub for a sink and a toilet in the room, on the east wall. Also, the electrical box is on the same wall about 3 feet to the right of the toilet drain.The builder did not add a stub for a shower. I am thinking of opening...

How to add a shower to a half bath on a slab [ 1 Answers ]

Need to add a shower to a half bath - half bath is on a slab shower will sit on opposite side of toilet and sink

What things can a half afirican american half mexican do to lighten a dark complexion [ 2 Answers ]

Im am a young african american with a reddish complexion. I am also half mexican. My dark skin bothers me and I never feel comfortable because of it, are there any semi-permanent or permanent skin bleaching pills that work?

Add-subtract multiply-divide [ 2 Answers ]

This is seriously an elementary question but I'm drawing a blank because I haven't done math in forever. Lets say you have a random equation like 23.2 divided by 14.56 + 78.6325 When you do the equation do you subtract/add first or is divide/multiply? thanks!

View more questions Search