Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Marily Posts: 457, Reputation: 51

Aug 15, 2007, 03:46 AM
    Spinach and Potato mounds
    2 onions sliced into rings, 2 bunches spinach, well rinsed , 3 - 4 tomatoes skinned and chopped , salt and pepper to taste , pinch nutmeg , 4 - 6 potatoes , 30 ml butter , 2 eggs beaten , 250 ml cheddar cheese grated . Preheat oven to 180 deg. Grease an ovenproof dish. Sauté the onion in a little oil until soft. Strip the spinach leafs from the stems and shred the leafs. Add chopped tomatoes and simmer until tomatoes are soft. Season to taste with salt, pepper, nutmeg and sugar. Turn into ovenproof dish. Boil the potatoes until soft, remove skin and mash well. Add the butter beaten eggs and 3/4 of grated cheese. Mix well and add salt and pepper if necessary. Spoon mounds of mashed potatoes on top of spinach and sprinke with remaining cheese. Bake for 20 - 30 min. NB: There won't be any lefovers
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2007, 04:10 AM
    Once again, tonights dinner!

Coconut Shrimp

Ingredients:

1 large egg
    2/3 cup beer
    1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    3/4 cup all-purpose flour, divided
    2 cups flaked coconut
    24 large shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails on
    2 to 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, preferably canola

Procedures:

In a medium bowl, whisk together egg, beer, baking powder and 1/2 cup of the flour. Place remaining 1/4 cup flour in a shallow dish. Place coconut in a separate shallow dish. Dredge shrimp in flour and shake off excess. Dunk shrimp in beer mixture and turn to coat. Roll shrimp in coconut until all sides are coated.
    Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shrimp and cook 2 minutes per side, until cooked through or opaque.

Serve with the dipping sauce of your choice. Pina Colada sauce is the best! (if you can find it). This dish goes really well with Pilaf. :)
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2007, 04:23 AM
    Okay, it is 7AM here - the fact that you have your dinner planned already has really impressed me! :) I haven't even had my coffee yet!
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2007, 04:26 AM
    Its 7 a.m. here too.. lol. I may be a nerd, but I plan out all of my dinners a week ahead of time so I don't have to struggle everyday with "whats am I going to make for dinner". Planning ahead is a good thing, but I know planning your dinners a week ahead of time is too much, its just a habit. It gets on my hubby's nerves sometimes because he has to decide what he wants and when.. lol. :p
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2007, 04:31 AM
    I actually used to be that discplined. I made "menus" for a 2 week period. So, I would know what to buy at the store and then what we were having.
    It's been so long since I have done it - I forgot!
    It does make it easier though!
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2007, 04:35 AM
    I even write down what we're having each day on my calendar so I don't forget.. lol. I will probably grow out of this obsession eventually. I'm glad someone else has done this before though, I thought I was weird.. lol. :)
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Aug 15, 2007, 04:43 AM
    My friend's mom used to plan meals for months in advance. It was quite creepy really :p
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2007, 04:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Capuchin
    My friend's mom used to plan meals for months in advance. It was quite creepy really :p
    That makes me feel a whole lot better.. lol. :p
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2007, 07:19 AM
    I started doing it so I wouldn't walk around the grocery store just picking random stuff out and then come home with a lot of stuff - but nothing to make a complete meal.

Meal planning is very organized I think. :)

Aug 18, 2007, 02:52 AM
    A few tips !
    Next time you make mashed pumpkin add a little bit of cinnamon, you'll love the flavour. If you bake a chocolate cake add a spoonful of finely grated orange zest and 1 cup of buttermilk
    curlybenswife Posts: 2,477, Reputation: 267
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2007, 04:13 AM
    * 2 large ripe bananas
    * 1/2 tsp vanilla flavouring
    * 175g butter
    * 225g granulated sugar
    * 275g self raising flour
    * 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
    * 3 eggs (beaten)
    * 100g chocolate chips

Grease and line two 8 inch sandwich cake tins with greased greaseproof paper.

Peel the bananas and mash until smooth in a small bowl with vanilla flavouring.

Gently heat the butter and sugar in a saucepan until dissolved. Remove from heat and stir in flour and soda. Beat in eggs and mashed banana. Cool slightly. Stir in chocolate chips, and spoon into tin.

Cook at 170C for 35 minutes or until skewer inserted into center of cake comes out clean.

Decorate with melted chocolate and bananas if you wish.

Just made this and oh my the smells killing me I can't wait for it to cool :D
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2007, 06:10 AM
    There must be a time difference - or you are really gung-ho this morning.
    This sounds terrific!

A question though - is bicarbonate of soda - baking soda? And is greaseproof paper parchment paper?

I ask because - if there is a way to mess anything up while cooking - I will be the one to do it! :)
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2007, 08:18 AM
    Wow... I just discovered this sticky... IM so excited now.

the last time I made banana bread... I left out the flour on accident, must have just skimmed over it on the recipe... I got brown banana goo instead.. lol

Here is a personal favorite of mine:

Chocolate Éclair Cake

3 ½ cups milk

2 pkg Fr. Vanilla instant Pudding

1 Cool whip tub (about 16 oz)

1 Choc Icing tub

1 box Graham crackers

Mix milk and pudding until thick, then fold in thawed Cool Whip. In 9x13 pan, lay out crackers to cover bottom then scoop in half the pudding mixture. Add another layer another graham crackers, then the rest of the pudding, and one last layer of crackers (this is the layer I try to make sure is even & fully covered). Next you will need to heat tub of icing in microwave for about 15-20 seconds. Pour icing on top to cover entire cake. Put in fridge. Icing will harden again.

As side notes, I usually use the low fat cool whip, low fat graham crackers & even have used sugar-free pudding. I do however use whole milk or no less than 2%. The milk makes a difference but not any other ingredient. I even buy off-brand. I find heating a tub of icing easier & more quick and still taste good.
    curlybenswife Posts: 2,477, Reputation: 267
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2007, 08:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NowWhat
    There must be a time difference - or you are really gung-ho this morning.
    This sounds terrific!

A question though - is bicarbonate of soda - baking soda? and is greaseproof paper parchment paper?

I ask because - if there is a way to mess anything up while cooking - I will be the one to do it!! :)
    Correct on both counts ;) I have to say I didn't use two rounds just one rectaingle tin and its turnt out really yummy.

And don't forget I'm in the uk ;) of course there's a time lag

Aug 25, 2007, 12:17 AM
    Orange and raisin muffins
    This is very delicious : 1 1/2 cups flour , 3 teaspoons baking powder, pinch of salt , 1/4 cup sugar , 1 egg beaten , 1/4 cup orange juice , 1/2 cup milk , 1/3 cup oil , 1 orange zest and 3/4 cup raisins . Preheat oven to 180 deg. Grease muffin cups. Sift together flour, b.powder salt and sugar. In a separate bowl combine egg, orange juice, zest, milk and oil. Stir egg mixture into flour mixture, just until moistened fold in raisins, spoon batter into muffin cups and bake for 20 to 25 min.
    Ultra Member

Aug 25, 2007, 11:00 AM
    Pumpkin Bread

3 cups Sugar
    1 cup cooking oil
    4 eggs
    3 1/3 cups all purpose flour
    2 tsp. baking soda
    1 1/2 tsp salt
    1 tsp ground cinnamon
    1 tsp ground nutmeg
    2/3 cups water
    1 15 oz. can pumpkin

1. Grease the bottom and 1/2 inch up sides of two 9x5x3 ince, three 8x4x2 inch, or four 7 1/2x3 1/2x2 inch loaf pans and set them aside. In a very large mixing bowl beat sugar and oil with an electric mixer on medium speed. Add eggs and beat well, then set aside.

2. In a large bowl combine flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Alternately add flour mixture and water to sugar mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined. Beat in pumpkin. Spoon batter into prepared pans.

3. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 55-65 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center of each loaf comes out clean. Cool completely.

I've been wanting to try this with a cream cheese icing. I wonder if it will be any good. I guess I'll never know until I test it! :p
    JAMIET Posts: 73, Reputation: 12

Aug 30, 2007, 02:48 PM
    Coconut Cream Cake Recipe
    Here's a recipe sure to add inches to your waistline, but that's why it's so darn good!
    I'm not a sweet freak, but I can't stay out of this cake!

1 Yellow Cake Mix
    1 can sweetened condensed milk
    8 oz of sour cream
    1 small 12oz container of whipped cream
    Sweetened coconut ( as much as you please)
    1/4 cup sugar

Prepare Cake mix per directions. ( I like to add a handful of coconut in the batter ) When finished cooking, immediately poke holes with a toothpick and drizzle the entire can of sweetened condensed milk over it and wait for it to cool.

Mix together sour cream and whipped topping and sugar together. Refrigerate until cake is cooled.
    When ready , spread topping on cake... it will be a rather thick layer.
    Top with coconut. I top mine with both toasted and un-toasted. Adds great texture and the toasted coconut looks nice.

Keep refrigerated.
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2007, 12:16 PM
    here are a few more from my "recipe book" cnt say where I got them all, its nothing but a binder full of bits of paper and napkins ans such I've pulled from different people :)

The most amazing Bruschetta Ever!!

1 Small container grape tomatoes, diced, drained

2-3 garlic cloves, finely minced

2-3 tablespoons fresh basil, minced

16 slices baguette bread

1-2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

2-3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (incredibly important)

2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Gently mix together tomatoes, garlic and basil. Lightly toast bread in moderate oven (approximately 300°F). Meanwhile, whisk together olive oil and balsamic vinegar and toss with tomato mixture. Serve tomato mixture on top of toasted bread. Sprinkle with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.

Apple Berry Breakfast

Filling:
    4 cups thinly sliced peeled apples(about 4 medium)
    2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries or sliced strawberries
    1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
    1/4 cup frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
    2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Topping:
    1 cup Quaker Oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
    1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
    1/3 cup (5 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon) margarine or butter, melted
    2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

Heat oven to 350°F. Spray 8-inch square glass baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.

For filling, combine all ingredients in large bowl; stir until fruit is evenly coated. Spoon fruit into baking dish.

For topping, combine all ingredients in medium bowl; mix until crumbly. Sprinkle evenly over fruit.

Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until apples are tender. I like to serve with Vanilla Yogurt.

Aimee's Quick Chicken

This came from a sister - It sounds odd, but it is the best chicken on earth!

ingredients:
    4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
    4 ounces Dijon mustard
    1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
    1/4 cup bacon bits
    1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
    Place chicken in a 9x13 inch baking dish. Slather mustard evenly over chicken, then pour teriyaki sauce evenly over all. Sprinkle with bacon bits, then cover with cheese.
    Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes. (sometimes I use real bacon slices rather than bacon bits.)

Mexican spinach dip

1 box of creamed spinach (defrosted)
    1 can black beans
    1 jar of medium salsa
    3 1/2 cups of cheese
    1 big can of tyson chicken breasts

shred the chicken. Mix in bowl with all other ingrdients minus 1/2 cup of cheese. Set the one cup of cheese aside. Pour mixture into a baking tray (the cookie sheet kind with the small raised lip about 1/4 inch deep) sprinkle with last 1/2 cup of cheese. Cover in foil. Bake at 250 for 30 minutes or until cheese is completely melted. Serve hot with tortilla chips.

Sep 12, 2007, 12:58 AM
    Israeli Chocolate Cake
    Ps: This cake is suppose to flop. BASE : 5 eggs, 1 cup sugar, 1 tbs selfraising flour, 4tsp cocoa. FILLING : 400 ml cream, 1 pkt instant vanilla pudding. Beat egg whites stiff and add sugar slowly. Whisk egg yolks and fold in. Sift flour and cocoa and fold into mixture. Bake cake in a round greased oven proof dish for 25 min at 180 deg. After cake cooled of make pudding using cream instead of milk. Fill the hollow created when the cake flopped, with the cream. Sprinkle with grated chocolate and refridgerate until ready to serve

Sep 12, 2007, 01:03 AM
    Batter for fried fish
    200 ml flour, 2 ml salt, 1 egg separated, 1 cup milk, 30 ml lemon juice, 10 ml oil. Beat flour, egg yolk and milk well together. Add lemon juice and oil. Lastly fold beaten egg white into mixture. Dip fish in batter and fry in hot oil.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Recipe Swap! [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all... I was just wondering if you would like to share your most loved recipe? I thought with people from all over the world, it might be nice to get some new ideas. It can be a main dish, dessert, salad, appetizer or whatever. Anyone? ;) I will have to decide on mine and then come...

Recipe Trade: Here's my MarsBar Cheesecake Recipe (A real winner!) [ 1 Answers ]

From My Family Kitchen to Yours.. Want to trade a tried and tested family favorite? Here's one from my kitchen.. MarsBar Cheesecake, perfect for a Special Birthday - Sure to put a smile on that Birthday Persons dile:) This recipe is for a LARGE Cake - if you are catering for a smaller...

Looking for a recipe. [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. We're looking for a cabbage recipe that we once had that was made with shredded cabbage, farmer's cheese, and some other ingredients. It was made in a frying pan and was very much like a pierogi filling. Does anyone have any idea how to make this recipe? Thanks. Dave.

Looking for your best FUDGE recipe [ 2 Answers ]

Do you have a really "great" recipe for fudge? Not the kind you have to use a candy thermometer with, more of a easier one. I'd like to make some for Christmas gift giving, one you have tasted and know its great. Thanks :)

Bero recipe [ 14 Answers ]

I'd like to make flapjacks with cornflakes instead of oats. Somebody told me the recipe is in a Bero cookbook. Can any of you help me? Wildflower

View more questions Search