Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ScottKeeley Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2007, 09:57 AM
    Some lights dim others brighten
    I have recently added an addition on to my small home. The kitchen outlets are on two separate lines that are of the proper heavy gauge wire. The kitchen lighting is on a separate line that is of standard romex. Now when I turn on a hotpot or other appliance in the kitchen the halogen lights get brighter and other lights dim. Also when the well pump comes on, everything dims dramatically. This did not happen before.

The system did pass the preliminary electrical inspection, all connections are tight at the box. The only thing I have to do to complete the inspection is to install 15 amp breakers where there is standard romex and leave the 20 amp romex where heavier wire is currently used.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2007, 02:50 PM
    This sounds like a loose shared neutral connection, but according to your description of the branch circuits, you don't have any 3 wire feeders with a shared neutral.

If a subpanel was added, then the feeder to the sub may have a loose neutral connection, as indicated by when I turn on a hotpot or other appliance in the kitchen the halogen lights get brighter and other lights dim.

But the water pump causes everything dims dramatically., this is a 240 volt circuit with no neutral, and can indicate a voltage drop issue, cause by a loose connection of a hot leg.

Without knowing more detail, and assuming all branch circuitry is done properly,all I can offer is to have the entire service checked for loose connections, this includes the utility lines at the transformer and the connections at the house, the meter, at the Main breaker and the Main breaker itself.

Is the well pump new?

What is standard Romex compared to heavier gauge wire?

Is there any 3 wire circuits, such as the new circuits to the kitchen?

Did all you do is add a few circuits to the panel?

Is it possible that you disturbed something in the panel to cause a loose connection?

Is the main breaker a plug in type, that may be loose, or is it a bolt in type?

Not sure if I hit that actual problem but perhaps got you thinking.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ceiling fan lights too dim [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bay Antigua fan with an add-on light kit (4 bulbs). I also purchased the wall mounted remote control. It worked fine up until a few weeks ago. Now, all four bulbs are extremely dim. I've tried higher wattage bulbs but there just doesn't seem to be enough power to light them...

Hampton Bay ceiling fan - light will not dim [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bay ceiling fan with light and remote. Remote is model TC707ST, but I cannot see model number of fan. Installing contractor a year ago must have discarded manual. This lighted fan has worked perfectly before, but now when I use the remote to turn on and dim the light, it will...

Voltage okay- yet lights still dim [ 4 Answers ]

Forgive me if Ive ask this question before, I think I wrote it out, but had to leave and I just closed it rather than posted. Two years ago when I had my 15KW electric furnace installed, I noticed that when ever it would run, it would make the lights dim, and they wouldn't get bright again until...

Headlights on 76 dodge d-100 brighten up when accelarating [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 76 dodge d-100 truck the lights brighten up when I accelarate. I have replaced the alternator a couple of times with no luck. Does anyone have a clue as to why?

Dim Laptop Displays [ 7 Answers ]

This is a fairly common problem. Wondering if it is fixable (w/ out having to spend $300+ on parts and another $100 on labor). In my case we're dealing with a Toshiba Portege 2000. It boots and operates fine, but the display is extremely dim. Could it be loose connections? Or is the display...

View more questions Search