Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jerrygold Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2011, 09:45 PM
    100 amp main, 100 amp service wire, 200 amp sub panel?
    I am moving my sub panel and upgrading to a 200 amp service, but in phases. The first phase is to move the panel due to some remodeling. I want to put a 200 amp panel in the laundry room with a 200 amp breaker. I have 100 amp feeder wire going to it (AL 2/2/2). Outside I have the meter can and a 100 amp lug with 100 amp main breaker feeding the sub panel. Is this OK since the service is protected by the 100 amp breaker outside? Eventually, when I upgrade to 200 amps, I will get rid of the outside main which is why I want the breaker inside instead of a lug. I have reasons for doing this. Elderly couple.. don't want them walking through rough terrain in the dark if the main trips. I want all panel access from inside.

I'm pretty sure I read correctly that this is fine, but want to double check on this forum..

Thanks for the advice.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2011, 03:25 AM
    Yes, you can protect a 200 amp panel with a 100 amp breaker.

However, you may not be able to eliminate the outdoor Main, as the cable from the meter to the Main in a panel is unprotected, and is only allowed to be a very short distance of cable once the cable enters the building, as quoted by Code "nearest the point of entrance of the service conductors"

If the Main to be located in the laundry room would be on or close to the exterior wall where the service cable will enter, then fine, the exterior disconnect may be eliminated.

Some local codes and utilities will require the Main to be located outdoors so you will need to consult with both.

If the Main tripping is a concern, emergency lighting units placed to illuminate the path to the Main may be helpful.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2011, 07:33 PM
    I think I understand what you are doing. And it seems OK and that you have thought it out. Now tell it to the AHJ and see what they say. And do you have a 200 amp service supplied by the POCO? You need to involved the AHJ and the POCO for this remodel, no matter how well you plan it out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Running two 100 amp main panels from a 200 amp service [ 27 Answers ]

Greetings! I live in a rural country area. The electric company will be installing a pole, meter, and 200amp service with disconnect at pole. (It will require 50 foot run of service cable from pole to main load center in mobile). Currently the double wide has a General Electric 100amp Main...

Running 100 amp service panal 200 ft away from main 200 amp service [ 4 Answers ]

I am looking to find out how big the wire needs to be to carry the load. This will be a 100 amp service coming from a 200 amp main . It will need to travel 200 to 250 ft underground to a barn. If some one could help me that would be great thaxs)))

I need help determining ihelp new 100 amp service panel or upgrade to a 200 amp [ 12 Answers ]

I've gotten conflicting advice from different electricians. We have a 40 year-old house with original 100 amp panel. It's about 1800 sf. I think we have the usual demands for a family of 4, 2 tv's, stereo, 3 laptops, printer, washer, dishwasher, plus a pool pump and filter (no heat or spa), etc....

200 amp main panel: 2 100 amp subpanels? [ 1 Answers ]

I was asked to by a homeowner to help with a wiring project. She has 1 200 amp main panel and 1 100 amp subpanel. Both are full yet she needs more circuits for a bed n' breakfast. Can another 100 amp subpanel be installed?

100 Amp Subpanel from 200 Amp main panel [ 2 Answers ]

I want to install a subpanel to be used to supply branch circuits to a new kitchen, laundry, garage, and some additional lighting and receptacles. The 200 amp main panel is about 50 ft away but because of the obstructions, we'll need about 85 feet of cable to connect the 100 amp subpanel. Since...

View more questions Search