Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kaeleesha Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2007, 09:23 AM
    Father wants to relinquish parental rights
    I live in Pennsylvania. My daughter is almost 6 years old. Her biological father has not seen her since she was 12 days old but he has been paying child support for about 6 months now. I've been remarried for 4 1/2 years and my daughter has known my new husband as her father since she was 7 months old. I have a hearing coming up to have my daughter's last name changed to my husband's name (which is also my last name and we have 2 sons with the last name). Her biological father said he is going to agree to it and he wants to sign over his parental rights also. My question is, how do we go about doing that? Is there a form to fill out and if so, which office in the courthouse should I call? I've asked Children & Youth, Domestic Relations, and Custody. No one seems to know. I cannot afford a lawyer, which I know will be everyone's suggestion. I filed the petion for name change at the Prothonotary's office, would they be able to help me? Also I wanted to know, is there a hearing involved? And would it maybe be possible to have him sign over his rights while we are at the name change hearing? I know it's a lot of questions, but no one seems to be helping me, the only answer I can get from anyone is "talk to a lawyer" but that's why I keep going to these message boards. If I was able to talk to a lawyer I would have done that in the first place! Lol. Please help! -Kaeleesha
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 22, 2007, 09:28 AM
    You can't just petition for a name change here. The Bio father will have to relinquish his rights and your husband will have to adopt her. Doing so will probably free the bio father from having to pay child support.

Your local family court will tell you what forms need to be filled out. There will probably need to be a hearing where the judge makes sure that everyone is agreed then signs the orders. But it should be able to be handled at one hearing.
    Kaeleesha Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2007, 10:39 AM
    Does it cost anything and how complicated would it be to have her step father adopt?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 22, 2007, 10:41 AM
    I have no idea of the cost. It would be best to consult an attorney to make sure its done right. They can give you an idea of the cost.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Question about a father who wants to sign over his parental rights [ 11 Answers ]

I have a question about a fathers parental rights. Can a father request to the state to sign over his parental rights? I have a friend of mine that has a child that he has never seen - and lives in California while he lives here in Minnesota and pays child support. The mother refuses to allow...

Father parental rights? [ 7 Answers ]

I havent seen my son in about 5 years or so even though we live a stone throw away. I have always acknowledged him with each birthday and xmas too. He is seven years of age and my ex partner has a new life as I do too. I have tried to hide my pain over these years hoping she'd have the decency...

Relinquish parental rights [ 2 Answers ]

In the state of North Carolina how does a father voluntary relinquish his parental rights and give all rights to the mother?

Father relinquishing parental rights [ 3 Answers ]

Please advise me how to relinquish my paental rights. My child's mother wants nothing to do with me and does not want me in the child's life.

Parental rights for a teen father [ 3 Answers ]

My boyfriend is currently feuding with the soon-to-be mother of his child. What rights does he have to be in his child's life and what steps does he need to take to receive those rights?

View more questions Search