Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Emily94 Posts: 1,129, Reputation: 64
    Ultra Member

Mar 25, 2011, 02:39 PM
    Volunteering at a shelter
    I am starting to volunteer at a local shelter, I start on Saturday. I am also sending cover letters and resumes out to the vet clinics in my city to see if I can get a volunteer position there. I want to become either a vet tech or assistant, not sure which (and not sure how much I can get for schooling). Either way this will come in handy.

Just wondering how do you guys stop the spread of germs? All my animals are vaccinated... but Im still a little worried, most animals at a clinic are sick, and there was a little out break of parvo at the shelter. Obviously washing my hands, but would changing clothes and shoes before returning home make a difference?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 25, 2011, 03:57 PM

My stepdaughter works in placement at a local shelter. She ALWAYS takes her shoes off in the garage, puts them on a shelf and changes into her "regular" shoes. She also comes into the house through the back door, goes down into the basement and changes her clothes there. She washes her clothes in hot water.

She has 2 dogs and has never brought anything home to them.

She was told that her shoes were the most important factor - I don't know if that is or is not true.

And as a side comment - I think what you are doing is wonderful. You make your family proud!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 25, 2011, 03:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    She was told that her shoes were the most important factor - I don't know if that is or is not true.
    Very true! I do the same thing so I don't bring hospital germs home. ;)
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 25, 2011, 05:05 PM

Yup, shoes are the most important. Parvo is the major concern, and since it's transmitted mainly through feces, and you can pick up feces on your shoes, it's important to make sure you leave your shoes somewhere that is safe.

Remember that parvo can survive pretty much anything, except for bleach. Even if you just wash the shoes that won't be enough. Leaving your shoes out in the cold won't kill the parvo virus either. I wouldn't even bring my shoes into the garage. I'd leave them in a bag in my car, just to make sure.

I worked at a shelter for a long time. While I was there I made sure to keep all the clothing I wore separate from my pets. When I was done my shift I changed clothing, and put my "work" clothes into a locker the shelter provided. That way any virus that was on the clothing stayed in the shelter, where the virus was already in existence.

Washing your hands is also very important. Whenever I came home from the shelter I immediately showered, and washed the clothes I came home in, just to be safe, with bleach.

Emily, are you sure this is something you can take on? It's not easy work, and with all your other issues I'm concerned that you're stretching yourself too thin. I think it's great that you want to volunteer, but it's a lot to take on, especially since all your pets seem to have so many issues.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2011, 09:19 AM

Thread closed

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shelter stocks [ 3 Answers ]

Need to shelter stocks--can I place back in the company's pension payment to me--which I am already receiving? If not --how can I shelter them?

Horse Shelter sizes! [ 5 Answers ]

COLOR="Red"]hi, my friend has some land and is planning to build a shelter on it for the horses that live there. She rents fields out for people and there owners. She was wondering how big a shelter needs to be depending on the amount f horses. Like a ratio. she is going to make it herself but...

Volunteering at CTRC [ 5 Answers ]

I had no idea where to put this, but I volunteer at the Colorado Therapeutic Riding Center and basically I'm trying to get CTRC noticed. The myspace is www.myspace.com/coloradotherapeuticriding So go check it out and if you live in Colorado maybe you could Volunteer!

View more questions Search