Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pluckyflamingo Posts: 220, Reputation: 17

Jan 22, 2007, 08:57 AM
    Can Age Interfer with How Much You Get Paid?
    Well I have been working for an Engineering firm for 2 years now. It is a small firm (about 12 people) where everyone is practically family. Yet I am the youngest person at the firm by at last 10 years.

I just turned 20 so this is my first real job. When I was hired on (18 yrs old) at this firm I was only supposed to be a receptionist making $9/hr. Which isn't to bad for my age. Well since then I have now taken the duties of receptionist, secretary for head engineer, office manager, and ALL of the bookeeping. The only thing I don't do, is sign the checks. And since I had a great relationship with my two boss's (husband and wife). For example they would give me nice coats, and furnature, etc.) But also I would run errands for them which weren't business related.

Now with everything I do I make $14/hr. Which still isn't bad.

About a 2 months ago just having a normal conversation about careers with my boss (since her daughter just got out of college) She mentioned that I made too much money for someone my age.

Then the past two times I have done payroll (we get paid monthly) my bosses have told me to give everyone bonuses. Which mine was $4000 total and everyone else's bonus were more than mine. Which I was still excited to get a bonus anyway. Very thankful for that.

But now my boss wanted to get ready for giving the employees raises. So I make the chart with when was the last raise and the amount of bonuses everyone got. I was also one of the last people to get a raise it has been a year. The majority of everyone else is 3 to 6 months. And when I got the chart back I was the ONLY one who didn't get a raise. And my boss used the excuse of well you got a big bonus. But when the truth is everyone else got a bigger bonus and now I am the only one who hasn't gotten a raise.

I just really feel like my bosses are trying to use my age as a tool to keep them from paying me like everyone else.

Please tell me what you think, and if any advice.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jan 22, 2007, 09:04 AM
    Do you have a degree?

An engineering degree is nothing to scoff at.

Also... I'm quite a bit older than you are, have essentially the same duties, and make less an hour than you do. I also don't even have the CHANCE for a bonus.

It sounds to me like you are doing great for your position! You're getting more than most people your age make, definitely. It honestly sounds to me like your boss has given you an apt justification for why you did not get a raise.

Keep up your good work, and then perhaps in 6 months you can point out where you have improved either yourself or the company and get a raise then.
    thedogghater Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2007, 09:08 AM
    It sounds like you get paid very well for your age.many people your age work for $6.25 I have 10 empolyes and all my young people that are just starting make $6.25 and work very hard.u should be very happy with yourself it sounds like you are doing great and very strong minded just hang in there work hard and they will rember that.it sounds like good things to come for you their.I would not say anything for awhile about raise and see what happens,sounds like they trust you a lot too.

Good luck
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 22, 2007, 09:21 AM
    Frankly it doesn't matter very much how old you are. What matters is your duties.

You give us very little to go on as to where you work (geographic area) or what your background is. All these things go into salary. Engineering is a specialized and competitive occupation. Your bosses may need to keep doling out raises and bonuses to retain their people. On the other hand, the work you do, while skilled and important, is much more easily replaced.

In some areas, $14/hr for the duties you perform would be high. In other areas it would be low.

If you don't like what you are making, brush off your resume and see what else is out there.

Jan 22, 2007, 09:22 AM
    That's the point I am making the doghater. FOR my age!! I am getting paid great for my AGE I already know that but it feels like I am getting singled out because of my age.

Jan 22, 2007, 09:25 AM
    There is a saying, don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Instead of thinking you are being singled out because of your age, look how much you are getting.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jan 22, 2007, 09:29 AM
    I see what you're saying.

The reason people are saying that is because it usually takes time and experience to get to where you are currently. At your age, I did not have the job experience that I have now, and therefore was paid less.

What people should be saying is that your maturity level is high and that you have a lot of experience with such a short career.

Unfortunately, people associate that with your age.

It still does not sound like you are being singled out due to your age... just due to what current market value of your skills is and the fact that your position does not require a degree.

I still say wait for some time, then point out to your boss WHY you deserve a raise. Leave your age out of it completely... no one gets raises for just working somewhere (or they shouldn't, darn it!) Raises should be based on merit.

Jan 22, 2007, 09:30 AM
    I was a secretary 6 months before I started to work for this firm. By the way it is San Antonio, Texas. They told me the reason they hired me was because they didn't want me to have too much previous experience and they could "mould" me into what they wanted for the company. Everyone else is either a draftsman, eit, or engineer. And I am the only one to do everything else, no help what so ever. They even expect me to come in when I am sick (yes even with bronchitus) because my boss (the old bookeeper) doesn't want to come in, which she doesn't. I see her maybe a total of 3 hours every few months.

Jan 22, 2007, 09:33 AM
    As synnen, said, you need to document the job you are doing, how well you are doing and possibly what similar jobs in the area go for. At evaluation or raise time, you sit down with your bosses and present your evidence to ask for a raise.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Jan 27, 2007, 02:02 PM
    Sorry for coming in at such a late date. Hope I can make a difference. You are experiencing exactly what I experienced working in the construction industry when I was approximately your age.

Please follow ScottGem's advice above. In addition, during your evaluation remind your boss what he told you about moulding you,. ask him where he sees you fitting in as part of the company in the future. If this is a job you are basically happy at, let him know that. If he is unwilling to give you a raise that you feel is appropriate for what you are doing, ask if they are willing to pay or reimburse you to go to college at night or weekends, for either an accounting degree, or engineering degree, or whatever degree you both agree that you should, or want, to earn. This way, you are close to earning the equivalent of what others are being paid (because they are picking up tuition costs), your boss sees you as an investment in his company, and you are creating the qualifications you need to earn much more money in the future. You are still young. In today's world, without a degree, you will hit a glass ceiling in a very short period. Please think about it. If you are bright enough to take on all these additional responsibilities, you are wasting your future money making potential. Take it from an old broad who has been there, done that! :-)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Did'nt Get What We Paid For. [ 10 Answers ]

We ordered a custom built Trailer (01/17/06), after a longer wait than promised the Trailer arrived only to find some options missing and the hitch weight to be Lbs600 more than advertised, so they came and picked it up to get fixed, when it came back it's still missing some options and the hitch...

"Dark Age" or "Golden Age" of Human Existence? [ 3 Answers ]

History shows us over and over that all great civilizations eventually come to an end. It stands then that our Civilization (as we know it) will come to an end sometime as well. Do you think the world is slipping into a "Dark Age", or are we about to emerge into a "Golden Age" ? We seem to...

Getting paid! [ 6 Answers ]

Hey, I have a simple question. I had to go to court (long story) and won about $3000 but that was a few years ago. Of course I have not seen any of it... what can I do? I don't know how to go about garnishing wages, and have since moved to a new state... any thought?

Employer paid too much [ 1 Answers ]

I have a question about vested interests. My former employer paid me 100% of the vested interest in my 401K instead of 40%. I was unaware of this at the time and I am still not sure it is in fact true as the dollar amount they say they paid me does not match my records. I just received a letter...

Does Sexually Attraction Interfer? [ 5 Answers ]

In my line of work... you deal with a lot of vendors... one of them happens to be a married man... we occasionally have lunch. Well I started to have feelings for him... and I have a feeling he did too. Now when we see each other, we grab on to each hug and his started to kiss me a lot on the...

View more questions Search