Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sunshinekiss Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2011, 11:49 AM
    Drug testing
    What will happen if a baby has traces of drug use in its system but the mother comes clean? And would there be any reason why a doctor wouldn't let there patient know if they didn't pass a drug test when there pregnant,unless there underage of course.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 25, 2011, 11:54 AM

I think we'd need to know more of the circumstances. I would believe it's impossible for a new born to have traces of drug use when the mother is clean BUT some of this could depend on the drug.

I do not believe it's true that a Doctor would not tell an underage patient that her drug test was positive.

Mar 25, 2011, 11:58 AM
    I'm certainly not underage, I'm almost 22, 34 weeks pregnant, and made a VERY wrong decision of smoking crack once at 31 weeks, but only once, I asked a online obgyn his thoughts and he said it will be out of mine and her system in 7-21 days but I'm afraid of the meconium testing and the baby will be taken away. I know she won't be withdrawing from the drug or marijuana or any other drug of those circumstances. I have just read so many cases that are scaring me saying how they will take her away no matter what, even if I come clean. I had taken a test at 4 1/2 months for my first prenatal cause I wasn't sure if I was pregnant and they did bloodwork and nothing showed up on my test they just gave me a list of everything they tested me for but my obgyn would have informed me if anything would have shown up right? I would think so for the babies sake at least to let me know if there were ANY traces of anything in mine or her system.
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Mar 25, 2011, 12:07 PM

There is no drug test that is infallible and some tests have error rates approaching 40%. The administering agency, laboratory and/or doctor must advise you of a positive test. That is necessary to allow you to request a re-test in case of error (false positive).

The bloodwork performed didn't necessarily check for drugs. Did the information that you were provided list a drug screen or substances screened for?

Mar 25, 2011, 12:41 PM
    WOW! I had no idea that ratings were that high! Yes they sent me a notice in the mail of everything that they had screened and checked me for, but no word from my doctor or anyone in that case that I had any traces of anything. But my mother just scared me saying how doctors can actaully not tell you if you didn't pass and just wait to see till you have the baby and test you again. But wouldn't that be violating the doctor patient confidentiality law? And I am sure not going to ask her how my results came out because that would make me look suspicious. I hope I'm not the only soon to be mother in the world wondering about this cause I seem like a fool and made such a horrible decision being selfish and doing that before her. I have learned from what I've done and been so stressfull on myself, I'm just praying to the lord that god doesn't strike me down and take her away cause I've been honest and not touched a thing since that incident nor before that!
    Ultra Member

Mar 25, 2011, 12:59 PM

The matter has to do with informed consent. Doctors cannot, and none that I know would, perform tests without advising you of the purpose of those tests. Doctors, to the best of my experience, do not sneak tests in on their patients and if you did consent they would not be justified in withholding results from you. So 1) if you were drug tested 2) you should have been informed of the drug test including the substances tested for, and 3) would have been provided with the results.

Failing such advice there should be no concern involving the results of any test administered.

It should be noted that if Medicaid is involved you already signed a consent to drug test within the paperwork. Even then, however, the doctor is not relieved of the obligation to inform you, the patient, of the results.

Mar 25, 2011, 01:15 PM
    Comment on DrBill100's post
    So basically so I'm not getting confused here, I am in the right, and she is to inform me if there were any traces as far as alcohol,thc,anything in my system correct?
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Mar 25, 2011, 01:19 PM

This is in the "Addictions" section, and I have to wonder why.

Also, where are the questions concerning the welfare of your unborn child?

All I see is someone who thinks that they will have to pay the consequences for smoking cocaine while pregnant.

I will not judge you, being an addict( in recovery) myself. But I do sincerely hope that this scare has taught you an important lesson.

God bless your child.
    Ultra Member

Mar 25, 2011, 01:39 PM

Yes. You would have been informed.

Mar 25, 2011, 02:14 PM
    Comment on jmjoseph's post
    Absolutely, I hope god can forgive me for what I have done and to my undborn child. Pregnancy can be such a scare and there is no excuse for what I've done to her for she cannot say or scream no. I feel horrible,absolutely horrible for what I've done, and I know that karma will get me. I just wanted to understand more and I hope I can provide the best life for her as I am trying to now and never touch a drug again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Drug testing [ 7 Answers ]

Does UPS drug test for package handlers?

Drug Testing [ 1 Answers ]

I stopped drinking two beers (24oz) at 9:00 pm last night, 10/23. Will I pass my alcohol urine test today at 3:00 pm, almost 18 hours later?

Drug Testing [ 8 Answers ]

Ok, so I quit smoking pot for about 2 weeks now (I used to smoke about everyday). And I just found out I need to get a drug test.. How long does it take for it to get out of your system, and is there a way to speed up the process of getting it out of me. I know it stores in your fat cells, and...

Drug testing [ 2 Answers ]

If you use a week before your hair folical test will it show up? I have not used in a year but relapsed right before court

Drug testing [ 2 Answers ]

How long do xanax pills stay in your system

View more questions Search