Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Casseyxx Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2011, 09:53 AM
    Bird in my care died..
    A bird I tried to rescue died in my care.. Yesterday at a shopping centre, I found a bird sitting beside a car tyre in the car park. It just sat there with it's legs out. I'm not sure if it was a baby bird or a fledgling. It had feathers. When I held it, it did not have any reaction. It only moved a little after a period. I know nothing about birds but I couldn't just leave it there as it was nighttime and there were a lot of stray cats around that area. Should I have left it there for it's mother to come? I sat beside the bird for sometime hoping that the mother would come. Was I supposed to sit at a distance? When I brought it home, I put the bird in a cupboard box and filled it with cotton wool (I read from one website that night). At first it couldn't move at all then later it tried to walk but kept tripping. Afterwards, it moved a little and tried to flap it's wings then it just sat there and did nothing for quite sometime. I don't know if it was sleeping so I panicked thinking it was going to die of starvation. Was I wrong to bring it home? I took some dried cat food, grinded it and added warm water.(From the same website) (Later I realised that it should have been soaked for one hour) I tried to feed the bird with the mixture but it just refused and the mixture just stuck at the tip of it's beak. Should I have used a chopstick and pushed the food down? I really don't know. Then I thought that it needed water or something so I soaked a cotton wool and dripped it into the bird's mouth. The water just came out from the side of it's beak. Did that cause it's death? (Later I also realised that the water could have gone into it's nose) The bird died in like two hours.. I feel really guilty. I'm not sure of it's gender. It was a Javan Myna. I hope to be able to save baby birds next time instead of causing it's death.. Please advice me.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Mar 25, 2011, 12:13 PM

Don't feel guilty. You did what you thought was right.

It sounds as though it would have died no matter what was done or not done.

That's life and death in the animal kingdom.

Really, don't sweat it.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 25, 2011, 05:21 PM

I've had birds all my life, and my grandpa bred birds. I've tried too many times to count to save a wild bird, and they've always died.

You did nothing wrong. You did what you thought was best, and you did the right thing. Don't beat yourself up about it.

The bird would have died no matter what. At least he was warm, fed, and loved for the last bits of his life. :)

Really, don't be so hard on yourself. Sadly wild birds aren't easy to save. Usually they're left on their own for a reason. Bird instinct is pretty great. Momma left the baby because she knew there was no hope.

You did your best, and you gave comfort to this bird. That's all you could do. I for one am proud that you cared enough to try. :)
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Mar 25, 2011, 11:32 PM

I am the same, I know I should just leave them be but I can't help myself, I always take them home and look after them.

None have survived.

Wild birds, especially babies rarely die from injuries, they die from shock.

Thank you for taking the little bird in and caring for it, as Altenweg said, at least it was warm and fed rather than laying on the street.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I get my foster care record, I don't Know were I was born, and parent died [ 5 Answers ]

I need know how I can get my Foster care Record, My parent died when I was 4. I live with my grandmother for about a year then she past away. I was placed in foster care with my aunt, she was very mean and was only in it for the money. At seventeen I finally left but the only information I had...

How to care for a bird with a broken wing? [ 24 Answers ]

Hi I have a galah in my care and I suspect he may have a broken wing. I can't afford to take him to a vet and have in the past successfully treated other animals. I would like to know if anyone has any information they can share with me. I currently have him in a secure, warm and quiet area. It is...

A baby bird in my care died. [ 7 Answers ]

Yesterday I found a baby bird in our yard, I read that if they can't stand properly on your finger like perching they weren't ready to leave the nest. I also have a dog who was carrying a baby bird in his mouth the other day so I couldn't leave him. I had been feeding him good quality soaked dog...

Brothers wife died, child not being taken care, what should I do? [ 1 Answers ]

My brother's wife has died 4 weeks ago. She has a 13 year old son. The biological father died 10 years ago. The child's biological family does not want him. My brother has never filed for guardianship. My brother is stuck in grief. Has no money, house is unsanitary, the child barely attends...

Help bird won't take care of eggs [ 2 Answers ]

I have a bird. SHe has laid 7 eggs now. The weird thing is she keeps laying eggs but does not have a partner. Well she did, but the partner fought with her and popped her eye. The eye is better now.We separated him to a different cage. Now she keeps laying eggs and is not taking care of them. I...

View more questions Search