Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Don_M Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2011, 04:29 AM
    Accounting total overhead cost using high-low method?
    ABC Co.'s total overhead costs at various levels of activities (all within the same relevant range) are presented below:

Month Flying Hours Total Overhead Costs
    September 8,000 $ 92,000
    October 12,000 $ 106,000
    November 16,000 $ 120,000
    December 4,000 $ 78,000

Assume that the total overhead costs above consist of managerial salaries, maintenance and utilities.
    The breakdown of these costs at the 4,000 flying-hour level of activity is:
    Managerial salaries (fixed) $

$25,000
    Maintenance (mixed) $48,200
    Utilities (variable) $4,800
    Total overhead costs
    $ 78,000

ABC Co.'s management wants to breakdown the maintenance cost into its variable and fixed cost elements.

Required:

1) Estimate how much of the $120,000 of overhead cost in November was maintenance cost.

2) Using the high-low method, estimate a cost formula for maintenance.

3) Express the company's total overhead costs in the linear equation form Y=aX+b.

4) What total overhead costs would be expected to be incurred at an operating activity level of 11,000 flying-hours?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 25, 2011, 05:56 AM

Read me first - Expectations for the Homework Help board

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We won't do your homework questions for you.
    You were given the assignment for you to learn.
    There are plenty of resources on the web for you to research this.

If you come up with your own answer and post it for us to critique that is within reason.
    If you have some SPECIFIC questions that you couldn't find or didn't understand, we may help with that.
    But this is your assignment, show us you have at least attempted to complete it on your own.
    Thank you.
    Don_M Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2011, 04:41 AM
    Bro this was not a homework question :)

It was a question from the book that I was working on for my test but didn't know how to solve it and couldn't ask my prof seeing that in my country ( Friday & Saturday ) is a weekend :)

I got it solved anyway

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

High low method to calculate fixed cost [ 3 Answers ]

Suppose you have two levels of activities and costs as follows: Highest level of activity is 10,000 lowest is 6,000. Highest cost is 35,000 while lowest cost is 27,000. Use the high low method to calculate the fixed cost.

High low method accounting [ 1 Answers ]

Using the high low method, what is the variable cost per unit march 25,600, April 26,200m May 27,600, June 26,450, July 26,000, August 26,500

How to use high/low method, to calculate the amount of projected monthly fixed cost [ 1 Answers ]

Production in 2005 for Dingy Daytona Dune Buggies was at its highest point in the month of July when 972 units were produced at a cost of $18,448. The low point in production was in January when only 155 units were produced at a cost of $10,667. The company is preparing a budget for 2006 and needs...

Estimating a cost function, high-low method? [ 1 Answers ]

Reisen Travel offers helicopter service from suburban towns to john F. Kennedy Airport. Each of it's 10 helicopters makes between 1,000 and 2,000 round trips per year. The records indicate that a helicopter that has made 1,000 round trips has an average operating cost of $300, and one that has made...

View more questions Search