Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    munny9068 Posts: 41, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2011, 02:56 PM
    Sharing printer between W7 and XP PCs
    I have the same situation; desktop XP,laptop W7, printer wired to desktop. Have setup the files as shared as well as sharing status on the printer. When I go to network in W7, the two members show up but when I try to access the desktop from the laptop, W7 keeps responding Network Error Windows cannot access \\DESKTOP. Error code is 0x80070035. Have found many,many threads out there referencing this situation, with about every answer imaginable. The majority point to the firewall [Norton NIS 2011] blocking a required port. Others say ports UDP 137-138,TCP 139,445 and UDP 5355 may need to be opened, which I have no idea how to check or remedy. Any help you can provide an old retired beginner would be appreciated. Really don't want to save PDF files to a stick then load on the desktop for printing... thanks... Howard
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Mar 22, 2011, 08:39 PM

What do you mean when you say you try to access the desktop? If you didn't specify that the desktop folder (per user) is shared than it won't be.

When you setup file shairng it only shares the public folders and media. Your desktop folder is not shared unless you specify for it to be shared.

Mar 23, 2011, 04:23 AM
    Three drives on the desktop are sharing enabled. This was to test the setup primarily. I was trying to 'look at' the H drive on the desktop which is shared from the laptop. The drive was shown on the explorer tree but no access permitted. The primary goal is to share the printer attached to the desktop. After all the workgroups[XP] and homegroups[W7] were created, I tried in vain to add the wired desktop printer to the wireless laptop. The printer shows up on the network map[Linksys]attached to the desktop, but when I try to add it to the laptop, I keep getting "Canon iP4300 not found" or something to that affect. Thanks for your reply. Any help appreciated.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 23, 2011, 04:38 AM
    You need to stop using the Homegroups on Win7:
    Windows networking fixed!!(w7 to xp)
    Networking Expert

Mar 23, 2011, 06:18 PM

NK is correct. Win7 homegroup is not what you want. I currently use 1 Win7 Sony, 1 XP Lenovo and 1 Vista HP to share all data amongst each other. I did not use homegroups or workgroups...

Your post is jumbled and chaotic, I get confused when I read it.

Are you simply trying to share your printer that is currently attached to your XP Desktop with your laptop?
    Networking Expert

Mar 24, 2011, 06:43 AM

To share the printer
    NOTE: Make sure the printer is installed on your desktop before sharing.

Start >Control Panel >Printers and Faxes >Right-Click on your printer >Sharing

1. Enter your share name. This name will be so others can know what it is. Ie: HP Printer
    2. Check "list in directory"
    NOTE: If you plan on using this printer with other Operating Systems (which yo do) it would be beneficial for you to install the additional drivers for the OS so you won't have to do it later.

***You should be ready to connect to it and print from other computers on the network.

To connect to the printer from Win7
    Start >Control Panel >Printers and Faxes >Add Printer >Printer Connection/Network Printer (not local printer) >Browse the Network and locate your printer via the share name you established earlier.

I am at work so I can be more specific when I get home and I have access to my Win7 machine. I am on an XP workstation right now so the Win7 directions may be wrong (I guessed)

Let me know!

Mar 25, 2011, 03:52 AM
    Sorry for being chaotic. You are correct about only trying to share the printer. Any help appreciated.

Mar 25, 2011, 04:52 AM
    Thanks for the info. I'll check to make sure I've done these things properly. My full network shows on the router's network map but I'm thinking there is a firewall issue somewhere... will keep plugging away and let you know more... thanks again

Mar 25, 2011, 05:30 AM
    I tried step #1 on the XP machine. When I go to the sharing tab I do not have a "list in directory" option, just sharing and add other drivers. BTW, I'm running XP-Media center not XP-Pro. Look forward to 'bothering' you some more when you get home... have a great day, I'll keep trying.

Mar 25, 2011, 01:46 PM
    I'VE GOT IT. No idea what was causing the "not found' message, I fiddled with so many things, but after all of these things, I now have a network printer. Got a real understanding of firewalls, allowed programs, and 'services.msc'.
    Networking Expert

Mar 26, 2011, 12:11 PM

Thanks for updating us.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Get user name for sharing printer. [ 0 Answers ]

HI :) How I GET USER NAME FOR SHARING PRINTER in adocument to hep admin to control the printer job

Multiple printer sharing [ 1 Answers ]

I have a network of 7 computers and I have connected 3 (nonnetwork) printers on one compuer which is also a part of this network all priners are shared with network and I can print any where from the network. I want to make that printer automatically default printer on my network which is on...

Hardware needed to connect 4 PCs plus a network printer [ 13 Answers ]

I am here in assistance regarding how I can connect 4 PCs plus a Network Printer. I hae so far done most using what my friend already had, i.e a PC, a Mac, a PIXMA MP980 Printer. NETGEAR Router WPN824 and a Motorola SurfBoard SB5101 Cable Modem. Laptops x2. He doesn't want anything wireless,...

Printer sharing [ 1 Answers ]

My printer sharing is did not share what shoud I do

How do sharing file and printer [ 2 Answers ]

Hoe do share/sharing file and printer.

View more questions Search