Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sharper11 Posts: 369, Reputation: 102

Mar 24, 2011, 09:52 AM
    Car "Idle" Surges when I release Accelerator
    About 2 weeks ago I had an issue with my 1998 Nissan 200sx. The Car (Cold or Hot) would stall when I started it. Following simple instructions from my cousin (a mechanic), he suggested to clean the Idle Air Controller using a Carb/Choke Cleaner. I did it just as he said, waited 20 min, installed it and... WOW, Car started right up, and held a good idle.

BUT (there is always a but).. . Now when I am driving, If I am above 2000rpm and let go of the accelerator, the car will drop to 1500 rpm and surge up to 2000rpm about 4 times and then stop. (during heavy traffic, it has caused me to have to hit the brakes to avoid an accident).

---So, does anyone have input? I heard that this could mean there is TOO much air getting to the Throttle Body now.

I'm not a mechanic, but a DIY'er willing to get my hands dirty. I've been doing routine and intermediate work to my OWN cars.. . An issue only when I do not have the right tool. :)
    I am hoping this is something I could do myself.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Mar 24, 2011, 11:03 AM

. Ensure there are no vacuum leaks.

. Check for codes--the Crankshaft Position Sensor may be bad.

I recently replaced the Camshaft Position Sensor in a friend's 2006 Nissan Altima. Afterwards, it fired right up.

Mar 24, 2011, 11:14 AM
    Comment on TxGreaseMonkey's post
    OK, I'll check for vacuum leaks. The check engine light hasn't come on, could there still be an error code?
    Uber Member

Mar 24, 2011, 11:23 AM

There may be a "soft" code, which may tip you off before a "hard" code is thrown and the CEL comes on. Soft codes sometimes portend problems before a component really starts to fail. I suspect an ignition system problem, in your case. The IACV shouldn't have any bearing on your car dying while you are driving.

Within the last 40,000 miles, have you changed the platinum spark plugs with the same ones that came in the car?
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Mar 24, 2011, 11:29 AM

If the Check Engine Light isn't on, a pending code may be stored but you'll need an appropriate scan tool to pull it out and read it. Many "code readers" don't have the ability to read these pending codes.
    Ensure that when you reinstalled the air inlet that it is fully sealed all the way around, especially at the bottom where it's out of sight and can roll during installation.

Mar 24, 2011, 05:45 PM
    Comment on TxGreaseMonkey's post
    No, I haven't changed the spark plugs in the last 40,000 miles.. . I am not certain if my engine model has the platinum sparkplugs
    Uber Member

Mar 24, 2011, 05:49 PM

Regardless, then, I would change them--stick with NGKs.
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Mar 24, 2011, 07:17 PM

Your mechanic cousin was wrong on one thing. Never use carb/choke cleaner on throttle bodys.
    You need throttle intake cleaner for injected cars. The other is for carbs, Very harsh chemical, and most likely washed all those carbon deposits right down the drain so-to-speak into the IAC air inlet.

Mar 25, 2011, 01:57 PM
    Comment on kitch428's post
    Thanks, I'll try to remember that if I need to do this again :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

'93 Civic idle surges temporarily [ 5 Answers ]

When I start my car cold, I don't take off until the idle goes well below 1500rpm. It runs quite well. When I start my car warm, the idle is below 500rpm and it runs quite well. However, when I start my car after it has been sitting for about an hour, the idle starts at 2000rpm and goes to...

Civic- I release the accelerator and the electrical system shuts off [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a 2002 Honda Civic lx. I have an intermittent problem. When I drive, every time I release the accelerator my gauges, radio, and pretty much everything electrical shuts off for a second and turns back on by itself. The engine still works and so does power steering, it's just the...

1993 Civic idle surges [ 3 Answers ]

My 1993 Honda Civic DX 1.5 litre 16 valve SOHC is having idle problems. I just had my engine swapped and even after the swap I am having this problem. It started when it got cold out. It didn't do it during the summer. When the engine was swapped the idle air control valve was swapped too...

My car surges when its hot [ 4 Answers ]

My 1997 1600 honda civic starts surging when it gets hot it runs fine for about 10 minutes but after than as soonas you stop at a juction in starts surging can anyone help me

92 chvy pick up surges poor idle [ 4 Answers ]

1 have a 92 chevy k1500 5.7 eng,200100. Miles on it, the fuel pump went out , changed it. When I start to go from a stop it feels like trans is slipping,rpms fluxuate in park. Changed trans fluid, it looked and smelled clean, still same. At idle it surges. Don't remember having this problem before...

View more questions Search