Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Deborah348 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2007, 04:03 AM
    Noisy apartment neighbors
    I live in a downstairs apartment and have a problem with the people upstairs moving furniture in the middle of the night,slamming doors, and running up and down the stairs. I would love to give them apartment manners 101 but they called me a c**t the last time I politely ask them to stop stomping on the floor. I have spoke to the landlord and I don't see an improvement. They are not to disturbing during the day. The time of rukus occurs between 12midnight and 5am. Any suggestions would be sooo appreciated.

Thanks Deborah
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2007, 04:12 AM
    I know somebody that lives in an apartment building. They had complaints about them down below. They always state that the noise is going on from 11 pm to 4 am in the morning which is false because everybody is in bed. It is kind of funny that there are some people who complain for no reason, but then other complaints are legit.

So for you, if you have a problem and it is legit and these people are cursing at you and there is no improvement and the landlord does not do anything. It is time to file a complaint in writing and send it to management. Next time there is lots of noise, why not call the cops. Question does these neighbours have a family. When people have children it is kind of hard to control the noise. Another question would be is it all hardwood floors, because the noise transfer with hardwood floors are a lot louder. Carpeting would prevent this from happening.

Joe

Jan 22, 2007, 04:33 AM
    The tenants that live above me are a young couple and I have already sent a written complaint to my landlord with my rent last month. I was advised to call a peace officer , however I'm unsure if dragging furniture across the wood floors in the middle of the night for a couple hours is an ordinance violation and the last thing I want is to create any more friction.

Thanks. Ps I live in a 4 apartment private rental, the other 2 tenants have also complained about the noise FYI Joe I'm dealing with rude unreasonable people. I just want to sleep through the night more than 2 times a week
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2007, 04:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Deborah348
    The tenants that live above me are a young couple and I have already sent a written complaint to my landlord with my rent last month. I was advised to call a peace officer , however I'm unsure if dragging furniture across the wood floors in the middle of the night for a couple hours is an ordinance violation and the last thing I want is to create any more friction.

Thanks. ps I live in a 4 apartment private rental, the other 2 tenants have also complained about the noise FYI Joe I'm dealing with rude unreasonable people. I just want to sleep through the night more than 2 times a week
    About dealing with rude unreasonable people. That is what I got from your post. I would say continue writing complaints. The more complaints the better. They should be giving warnings. I understand that you do not want to cause more friction but it sounds like they can already get pretty nasty. The only other solution is to call a peace officer. I do not know what else to say, it could cause a lot more friction as well, but then eventually getting them involved might be the best solution.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 22, 2007, 07:13 AM
    You need to check the laws in your area, but generally the period from 11PM to 6AM is considered quiet time. Any excessive noise during that time is usually illegal.

Try making a tape with a radio stating the time in the background.

Jan 22, 2007, 07:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    You need to check the laws in your area, but generally the period from 11PM to 6AM is considered quiet time. Any excessive noise during that time is usually illegal.

Try making a tape with a radio stating the time in the background.
    Thanks I will definitely check into that :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Annoying Neighbors! [ 27 Answers ]

Ok, at first my husband thought it was my imagination. My neighbors that live right next door do exactly as I do every year! The curtains, I get hardwood floors, they get it a week later, same wreaths at christmas, this week I put out certain topiaries a certain way on the porch then they go and...

Disrespectful Neighbors... [ 9 Answers ]

Living in CT, what are laws pertaining to neighbors, that play loud music all day long, and musical instruments all hours of the night, to the point where we can't hear the T.V. and the floor is vibrating. This has been a feud since he moved in. Cops were involved before, but nothing came about. ...

Neighbors [ 20 Answers ]

We have had some fun and some sad stories about our next door neighbors Would everyone like to share some of theirs with us. ** today I was getting ready for our winter weather, I got my generator out and get it started, well in about 30 min my next door neighbor got his out and started...

My new neighbors [ 2 Answers ]

My neighbors have had a street light instulled and lights up my entire front yard and half of my home.. it is very disturbing to me and the way I was used to living how can I take care of the new and very annoying problem?

Fire Damage to Apartment - Landlord using to upgrade apartment [ 8 Answers ]

Earlier this year my apartment was minimally damaged by a fire. The exact cause of the fire is unknown, however it is believed that my cat knocked something onto the stove which then turned on and burned the basket. Fire damage to the apartment was restricted to the kitchen stove area. Smoke...

View more questions Search