Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brandy84 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2011, 06:31 PM
    Unlevel pool
    I just filled my pool up and it unlevel 2in on one side and 3 on the other its in the same spot from last year and it wasn't that unlevel could I dig around the poles on the higher side to bring it down? What can I do without having to drain it.
    chaosmaster1 Posts: 294, Reputation: 12

Mar 24, 2011, 01:16 PM
    When you drained it did you remove any hydrostat plugs? They are round plugs that are screwed into pipes in the bottom of you pool.

Mar 24, 2011, 04:57 PM
    Comment on chaosmaster1's post
    No just left it the same way it was when I put it up last year so I figured it would still as level as it was last year it was a little unlevel last year and I had no problem but now its more unlevel

Mar 24, 2011, 05:09 PM
    Is your pool a above ground pool or a inground pool? Please let me know then I can tell you why it happened and how to fix it
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 25, 2011, 04:11 PM

So this sounds like an above ground pool, right? Why did you drain it, we leave water in our pools year round and I am in Illinos. We had 22" of snow one day and 5 degrees below another, pools are fine. Once you fill a above ground pool there is no digging, I'd let ir go for this year. A ppol needs to be drained, liner removed and outter ring set level with no fill.

Mar 25, 2011, 06:12 PM
    When you drained your pool you took the weight out of it and allowed the ground underneath to freeze and then thaw. When that happened most likely the ground settled more so in some areas. What you should do to fix it is when you drain it again dig 4-5 inches underneath of the pool. Put a layer of number 57 gravel in there compact it and put at least a 1 inch thick layer of fine sand on top of the gravel and smooth it out to make it level. Reason why I say gravel then sand is because the gravel provides a firm foundation that resists settling. And the sand is to make the bottom smooth and soft. That is what I do when I put up above ground pools.

Mar 26, 2011, 04:03 PM
    OK thanks for your help I had to drain it last year it had a hole in the bottom it started getting cool so I figure why waste the money to fill it back up

Mar 26, 2011, 04:04 PM
    Comment on ballengerb1's post
    It had a hole in the bottom some where had to drain it to find it by then the weather started getting cool so I just put a cover on it and never filled it back up

Mar 26, 2011, 04:05 PM
    Its above ground and its already full of water I figure it might not hurt to be a little un level but its 3in unlevel

Mar 26, 2011, 04:42 PM
    No problem I build/service pools for a living

Mar 26, 2011, 08:10 PM

Chances are pretty good that as we move into Spring the pool will level itself to some extent. Never drain a pool before winter, you need the mass to keep everything where it belongs
    lilbitarkansas Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2012, 06:19 PM
    I have a intex 15' x42" pool and it was fairly level but now that the water is filled its really unlevel.. How much is too much?

Jul 9, 2012, 07:35 PM
    The pool really doesn't shift when you fill it but the water level gives you a true, better reference line to see better than the rail. Measure down from the rail to the water line all around the pool. How much does it vary, greatest measurement minus smallest measurement.
    ChrisandTiffany Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2013, 07:44 PM
    I noticed some of these posts are over two years old but I'm hoping someone will answer me...

We just installed a 24x52" pool last weekend and is filled up about half way when my husband and I noticed that two sides were higher than the other two. Yes its a round pool but its true. I'm not sure if we could dig under the ring to level it or not I just don't want to drain it and basically start all over again. The sides that set lower are 6+ inches off and I've heard horror stories but I also hoping to quick fix it since we spent 3 days working on this pool "thinking" it was level only to be way wrong... Somebody please tell me what I can do so my kids can swim sometime this summer...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unlevel pool [ 8 Answers ]

We just had an above ground pool put in and the company that put it in I would not recommend to anyone. It is unlevel about 1 1/2 to 2 inches. I was wondering if it was safe to use or do we need them to drain it and level it up right? By the way it took them 4 weeks to put it up.

Unlevel pool [ 1 Answers ]

I have an above ground pool A sterns South sea... It is full... On one corner the lvel is out about 2.5 inch... Is this dangerous... It is 6" by 4" approx... What should I do to fix it... It has decking all round it.

Unlevel pool [ 2 Answers ]

I never set my pool at a completely level spot! Will this really hurt anything or will it do OK its about 3-5 inches unlevel maybe a little less?

Unlevel pool [ 4 Answers ]

We just installed an above ground pool. When we filled it it is unlevel on one side please what can we do?

Unlevel pool [ 1 Answers ]

Our son put our 15 ft. round metal frame pool up today. I got home while it was filling. It is about 3 1/2 - 4 inches unlevel in an area. I have started draining it but can I prop the legs up that much? If not is there a way to fix the problem without taking the whole pool apart? Thanks S. ...

View more questions Search