Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nolly Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2011, 06:27 PM
    Swimming pool, errant electrical current
    My swimming pool gives mild electrical shock with all power off. I have a copper ionization purification system. What should I look for? The electrician does not know pools or copper ionization.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 25, 2011, 04:12 PM

How mild? Above ground or in ground? Kill the breaker to the filter and the pump, still getting mild shock? In the meantime stay away from the pool and kill the breaker 24/7 until we figure this out.
    chaosmaster1 Posts: 294, Reputation: 12

Mar 25, 2011, 10:48 PM
    It sounds like the wiring is wrong inside the subpanel. Test for 240 or 110 at the timeclocks or pump if you do not have a timeclock. If you get a reading of 240/110 at the pump/timeclock with the breaker off then it is a breaker. Electrolysis in the water would not even be noticeable. If the problem does not lie with the subpanel then there could possibly have been a underground powerline/cable that is damaged. Either way I highly recommend that you contact a pool guy and have them recommend a good electrian that knows about pools to you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mild electrical shock in swimming pool [ 72 Answers ]

:eek: Our swimming pool pump is grounded to the ladder in the pool and also to a copper grounding rod in the ground. The problem is when you touch the wet concrete around the pool while touching the water in the pool you get a mild shock. We've checked it with a voltage meter{the blk. Electrode...

Mild electrical shock in swimming pool [ 2 Answers ]

I have the same problem in my pool in Tobago. Pool lights turned off but I still get a tingle from the light surround (die cast alum) and the stainless steel handrail. I have installed an earth bond between the deck box, had rail and sub panel earth point. I have further installed an earth...

Swimming Pool Light [ 3 Answers ]

If I remove the swimming pool light, is it necessary to still ground the slide and the steps?

Swimming Pool [ 1 Answers ]

I am building a peanut shaped pool 20x40 (3-8ft.) with a water fall in the middle and 4 deck jets. Two in each corner. Iam thing 2 skimmers and 4 returns? Also I would need an auto water leveler and suction for cleaning system. Looking for a drawing on how to plumb. There is no heater or spa. 2...

View more questions Search