Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gatailgunner Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2011, 03:37 PM
    Up-dating old custom PC running Win 98 and has failed to boot with new hard drive
    My old Custon built PC has failed to boot on original H/D with win 98. Have new IDE 80gig HD but can't a boot up without floppy disk (which I don't have) The new drive is "clean" and I wish to install Linux Ubunto O/S without going anywhere near Windows. I have a choice of HD, that being a Maxtor 30gb and a WD 80gb. Both check out AOK and run fine... just won't boot far enough to allow me into set-up nor system restore (recover). Computer will start up to a point where it sez "starting computer normally in 60 sec." but it just repeats that function over and over. I can select "Start under Safe Mode" and it will fill about one screen full of data commands for "C://" and stall/ freeze, requiring a complete shut down of the computer. What settings are required for the chip-set? Do I need to go to another computer and create a copy of XP on 6 floppies, re- activate the floppy drive on the old 98 computer and install that way and do Ubunto later? Ideas Please!
    WallyHelps Posts: 1,018, Reputation: 136
    Ultra Member

Mar 24, 2011, 04:40 AM

What you want is a Ubuntu "Live CD". Boot the computer with the live CD (you may have to change the "boot order" setting in your bios to boot off a CD), and follow the prompts to install Ubuntu onto the hard drive.

To get the Live CD:
    Search around on Ubuntu's website for the proper .iso file to download and burn to a CD. You'll probably want something like "x86-32bit". It should be clear once you're there. Obviously, you'll do all this on a different computer that is working.

Good luck,
    WallyH
    Appzalien Posts: 540, Reputation: 57

Mar 24, 2011, 07:01 AM
    I have a question, what is it your missing? The floppy disk or the floppy drive? You can Google Win98 boot floppy and find them all over the place. Then use that floppy image and an imaging utility to create your disk. Win98 original was not a bootable CD and therefore needed a floppy to load some drivers for the opticals and a little ram module to start. You can also Google Bootable Win98 CD, they're out there for the downloading and as long as you have your original serial your good to go and do not need the floppy with them.

Since your looking into Linux rather than Windows and are still having trouble I suspect your issues are either from incorrect jumpers or positioning on the ribbon or in the bios your boot order is not right. If you leave the old drive in there but do not change the jumpers (it had to be master or cable select) then the system is not looking at the new 80gig at all. Change your jumpers and ribbon position so the new 80gig is mastered and on the terminating end of the ribbon and the old drive is slaved and in the middle of the ribbon and see what happens.

Mar 24, 2011, 11:52 AM
    Comment on Appzalien's post
    Thanks Appzalien! I get on with your suggestions pronto and will get back to you as we go.

Mar 24, 2011, 11:56 AM
    Comment on WallyHelps's post
    Thanks WallyH! Glad to get update on use of Ubunto and will combine it into my other efforts as I go. Will also keep you updated on progress.

Mar 26, 2011, 04:17 PM
    UPDATE: WallyH & APP: CK'ed jumpers on Maxtor 30gb and found it on far rt pins. Old HD had NONE. Removed from Maxtor and VIOLA! It booted up under Win 98! Next move, Got Brave.. installed WD 40gb "slave" HD and computer failed to boot, again! Unplugged & working again. Will install jumper on center pins (as shown on WD schematic)and keep at end of ribbon as now installed. Think all I need do is trial & error til' jumpers are correct. Another SNAFU is computer fails to find drivers for DWL-G510 Wireless D-Link Adapter card, neither in windows nor from the D-link supplied CD, install fails wizard fails at that point, no drivers found. So, can't go on line. Still further, the computer fails to bring up the Linux Ubunto install CD as well. It shows up under "My Computer" but won't open nor run from there and nothing shows on screen from inserting CD in drive "E" One more issue is no sound, get error saying it can't find proper audio device, or, improper sound card for audio device. Boy, do I have a long way to go before I sleep tonight, as the old quote goes!
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 27, 2011, 06:46 AM

You haven't mentioned your system specifications. Do they meet the minimum requirements for ubuntu ?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...emRequirements

If your original OS was win98 it might not meet the specifications for it.

Also to avoid using windows you can work in DOS and get the basic files for booting your PC including the generic cd driver so you can access it. Boot from floppy then install anything you want providing it meets the specifications of your system.

Mar 27, 2011, 11:37 AM
    Comment on califdadof3's post
    Hey Thanks Calif! I have gone to the suggested link and found all kinds of help! That is one grand help site. Thank you so very much for directing me there. I'll save that site for sure. At this point I plan to try Xubuntu as recommended by this site (if I can find a down load). So, the chase begins...
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 27, 2011, 01:22 PM

Like here ?

Xubuntu Home Page | Xubuntu

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Intsalled Hard Drive - Freezing at Boot Up [ 6 Answers ]

I though I had it, but... I have a Compaq Presario 5333cl desktop with an Seagate 80GB HD (IDE). Running Windows XP SP2. Am using Casper XP 3.0 cloning software, which works within Windows. Installed and successfully cloned a new WD 320GB HD in disk #2 position. Both drives set to cable...

Boot computer and wipe off hard drive to sell [ 3 Answers ]

I have a software to wipe off the hard drive of my computer but I don't know how to boot it so that I can use the software. I do not want to reinstall anything because I am going to sell it. thank you

How to boot new hard drive [ 2 Answers ]

I tried to defrag. My hard drive but it would stop with an error message each time, I run norton disk doctor ,the result was no errors. So I decided to change the hard drive with an old drive that I used to used as my master drive in another computer but when I installed it ,the computer would...

Boot linux from an external hard drive dual boot? [ 1 Answers ]

Can I boot linex from an external hard drive dual boot. How do I do it ?

Reformat a Dell Win XP HE Hard Drive? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I am having a bit of a problem with a freind's computer, been trying to get it going for well over 2 weeks, but EVERYTHING I have tried seems not to work. :( The computer is a 18 Month old Dell Desktop with Windows XP home Edition installed. It was running frustratingly slow, and Would...

View more questions Search