Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Smity Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2003, 07:42 PM
    Vonage and other services like that
    Is anyone using Vonage or similar services where you can use your regular telephones to call other regular telephones via your cable modem? I heard an advertisement and I am wondering what people who are really using it think.
    ebc Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2003, 12:25 PM
    There are a couple of services that allow you to use cable modems or DSL to make telephone calls. The most popular one is the one you mention. Vonage is currently servicing about 24,000 customers in the USA and overseas. The service is pretty cool.

There are several reviews of it on the internet if you search around... on Google this one comes up and is pretty accurate:

http://www.longmeadcrossing.com/vonage.cfm

Good luck.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2003, 02:42 PM
    Go for it.

I finally solved my problems by doing away with my phone company.
    I am very happy with my Vonage phone service. For $27 a month, I get free calls anywhere in my area code, all the features, and 500 minutes of long distance. For $41, I could have unlimited long distance. The $20 a month I save on phone almost pays the extra for cable internet. I have much better voice and never a problem connecting to the internet. Biggest drawback is that Road Runner tech service stinks. See www.vonage.com.

How big of a problem are power surges? For years I have fearfully shut my computer down at the first crack of thunder. Recently I solved my long standing phone/internet problems by going with cable high speed internet and using Vonage Internet phone service. Told my phone company to come take down their wires. I restrained myself from rude comments about their poles.

For my phone to work now I must have my cable connected and the cable modem and Cisco 186 ATA hot. I can connect the ATA directly to the cable modem, but if I want to use it and a computer both, I need to have the router going too. I added a UPS to power the cable modem, router, and ATA. The phone plugs into the ATA. I have the UPS plugged into one of several surge protectors in the house. Can I safely leave the phone and everything else on in a lighting storm? Does anybody have any real numbers on electronics getting fried? The cable does have a lighting arrestor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

W2K Services.exe using 100% CPU [ 10 Answers ]

My computer started running really slow a few days ago and when I went to Task Manager to see who was using the CPU the services.exe was using 99% and it does so for hours and hours. I rebooted several times to no avail. I went to Administrative Services and stopped all services that could be...

Unearned services [ 3 Answers ]

I received a check today for $ 6,000 from providence country club to photograph events held at the club over the next 12 months. This is the journal entry I did, please let me know whether it is correct. Cash 6000 Unearned revenue 6000 This is the final trial balance adusting entry...

Vonage [ 4 Answers ]

In case you aren't aware, Vonage is planning an IPO. As part of that they are offering longer term customers the ability to purchase shares at the initial offering price. Since I qualify I have been thinking about investing a relatively small amount (about $1K). I think the offering price will be...

Train services [ 1 Answers ]

How can I get information on train services between Anchorage and Fairbanks?

View more questions Search