Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    julezzz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2011, 02:51 PM
    Which saint is the best for confirmation?
    I'm in grade 8, and I'm 14 years old .
    I'm taking my confirmation class this year, and I don't know which saint to choose.
    I like dancing
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 23, 2011, 10:34 PM

Your best bet is to go to the public library and ask a reference librarian for help. There are saint name books at 282 to check out and some reference books in the same number. There's a description of each saint.

One boy I helped liked St. Blaise Pascal because the first named sounded like "Blaze" and he thought that was cool.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_saints
    St. Vitus is the patron saint of dancers (and comedians), but it's also the name of a nervous condition (and it's a male name). St. Cecelia is the patron saint of musicians. Moses' and Aaron's sister Miriam danced, but I'm not sure if you can use her name since she's not a saint. (Exodus 15:20, "And Miriam the prophetess, the sister of Aaron, took a timbrel in her hand; and all the women went out after her with timbrels and with dances.")
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 24, 2011, 04:47 AM

Saint Vitus is the patron saint for dancing.
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Mar 24, 2011, 02:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    One boy I helped liked St. Blaise Pascal because the first named sounded like "Blaze" and he thought that was cool.

You may be confusing Blaise Pascal with St. Blaise - two very different people.

Blaise Pascal lived in the 16th century in France and was a mathematician who was an early influence on computers. He also wrote Pensees which many consider to be the most perfect French prose ever written.

St. Blaise was purported to be a Bishop in the 4th century who performed a number of miracles and who was remembered in the Catholic Church on February 3 - the day of "the blessing of the throats".

St. Blaise is not attested to historically, but his veneration has lasted an amazingly long time. He may be legendary.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 25, 2011, 08:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    You may be confusing Blaise Pascal with St. Blaise - two very different people.
    I was going to ask about that too. Plaise Pascal was a huge contributor to mathematics and science, so I was surprised to see that he might have be a Roman Catholic Saint. But I can't find anything on-line to support this notion. Probably a case of confused names here - sort of like thinking that St. George was George Washington.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What saint should I choose for my Confirmation this year? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am 11 and making my Confirmation this year and I need to choose a saint. My interests are cooking, netball, art, animals, friends, piano and lots of other stuff but I do really love cooking. I am thinking Saint Elizabeth of Hungary because she was saint of all bakers and other really...

Which Saint to Ask for Help... [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone know if there is a particular Saint that helps with depression? How about protection over children?

A Saint? [ 7 Answers ]

I have heard of Saints in different contexts. I am curious to know how is one defined as a saint in Christianity? What acts or non-acts does it take a person to be named a saint? Is the title used during the lifetime of a particular person or is the title given after the person passes...

View more questions Search